Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Need these DB files OFF of my Mac ASAP...

Level 2

HELP! SOMEHOW Dropbox files are resident on my Mac and just sucked up ALL my space. I cant do anything. I have been looking all over the Web for six hours, and still I do not have a solution. DB Help Center starts with "Click on Dropbox in your Menu Bar..." but I do not have that icon. Earlier today I finally got the "icon" deleted, but there is still a DropBox Folder that houses 10 years of movies, files, etc. I need to DELETE THESE FILES. Can I just drag the file to TRASH, or will I lose 10 years of company data?

1 Reply

Re: Need these DB files OFF of my Mac ASAP...

Dropboxer

Hey there @CraigRanch - how are you today?

Based on your description, I'd assume that you installed our desktop app and once it's started syncing your accounts contents, it started filling up your computer's hard drive space - correct?

If that's indeed the case, that's actually expected as the Dropbox software (i.e. our desktop app) is designed to watch your Dropbox folder and sync any files placed in the folder. Your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, but with syncing features.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with this, but, Selective Sync is a feature that allows you to choose which folders to sync to a particular computer. It's a great option if you'd like to free up disk space.

You can use Selective Sync by following the steps in this Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Or else, you can unlink your account from the affected device through the desktop app's preferences, uninstall our app and then delete your (then local, if properly unlinked) Dropbox folder to free up space and then access your files only through our website at: https://www.dropbox.com/

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress Craig. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Need these DB files OFF of my Mac ASAP...
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post