cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need to download a expired Dropbox Transfer file

Need to download a expired Dropbox Transfer file

PatrickMast
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How can I retreive expired files I shared to someone else with Dropbox Transfer?

Thanks!

Patrick 👍

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PatrickMast - welcome to our Community!

If your transfer has expired, you'll be able to find the files you shared with other, in their original locations. 

This means that they should be on your computer from which you initiated the transfer from or in your account online if you transfered files that were already within your Dropbox account. 

I hope this points you towards the right direction and please let me know if you have any more questions Patrick; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Happy Monday :coffee:

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PatrickMast - welcome to our Community!

If your transfer has expired, you'll be able to find the files you shared with other, in their original locations. 

This means that they should be on your computer from which you initiated the transfer from or in your account online if you transfered files that were already within your Dropbox account. 

I hope this points you towards the right direction and please let me know if you have any more questions Patrick; I'll be happy to follow up. 

Happy Monday :coffee:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

PatrickMast
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey Walter,

Thank you for your quick answer.

I was in the impression that Dropbox would keep that file for me somewhere. After all, it IS in my dropbox, right?

So, conclusion: Dropbox is not keeping these files for me? I need the keep the original file somewhere on my hard drive?

Thanks!

Patrick

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift response Patrick!

The files you can transfer with this feature don't necessarily reside within your Dropbox account @PatrickMast. If the files you transferred were in your Dropbox account at that time, they're still there. 

If they were never in your account, they should be in their original locations (i.e. the devices you initiated the transfer from). 

Do you remember the original source of the files you transferred originally? Have you looked for them there by any chance? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

PatrickMast
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey Walter,

We used to use Droplr to transfer files. They DO keep the transferred files available for you. I think Dropbox should do the same. :innocent:

The upside of the cloud service to keep your file is, you can safely delete or forget about the files you send. Files are "safe" and "available" in the cloud.

Sorry to see Dropbox Transfer does not do the same.

Patrick

pioneeripentti
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This came to me as suprise as well. I thought it would work like wetransfer.

Gabbarast
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree. There should be an option to be able to resend or create new link with the files when transfer is expired. I am now on holiday and I am not able to do my job and send a new link to my client, as the files have only been delivered with transfer. This is not good.

Patrick E.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The replies to the above posts are absolute crap.

The answer is no, we forgot to add a feature that allows you to reissue expired links and we should have kept copies of the file.

I can imagine how upsetting this is, we will elevate this issue and add it as a feature.  WTF./

Need more support?