cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newline within Latex/Katex editing mode

Newline within Latex/Katex editing mode

kbarros
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to enter a newline within the Latex/Katex editor? (I mean, in the Latex code displayed between $$ terminators.)

The behavior of the [Enter] key is to render the current Latex code as math. I was hoping [Shift-Enter] would instead insert a newline into the Latex code itself. This is useful, e.g., when dealing with multi-line environments described at the Katex page.

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess that is not currently possible in Paper. One thing I can suggest: you type the equation in a comment next to the equation line. And always edit there, when you are done. Please copy/paste the whole code inside the $$ in paper document. I know it is not perfect, but worth for the redability of a very long equation.

Paper_math_equation.png

View solution in original post

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for using Paper and welcome to our Community @kbarros!

As we collect and track all feedback requests to inform ongoing development of Paper I've gone ahead and put your request on our list. It would indeed be helpful to insert new lines while using LaTeX  with a shortcut like [Shift+Enter] as you mentioned! 

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments on this - I'll make sure to pass your suggestions to the team.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution
Hi, in case you want to implement the Katex multi-line examples, it should be fine in Paper. Just write the whole code inside $$. For example, you want to implement the matrix, you should write:

$$\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{matrix}$$

In case you want to just want a line break, you may use separate lines with separate equation.

kbarros
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Elixir, thanks for your response.

Yes, I am aware that "\\" will insert a newline in the rendered math. I am asking to insert newlines in the Latex code itself. That is, I want to be able to type:

$$

\begin{matrix}

a & b \\

c & d

\end{matrix}

$$

instead of:

$$\begin{matrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{matrix}$$

For this simple example it doesn't matter much, but for very long math expressions it makes a big difference. I was hoping I could insert newlines with [Shift-Enter].

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Sorry, I misunderstood. I guess that is not currently possible in Paper. One thing I can suggest: you type the equation in a comment next to the equation line. And always edit there, when you are done. Please copy/paste the whole code inside the $$ in paper document. I know it is not perfect, but worth for the redability of a very long equation.

Paper_math_equation.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for using Paper and welcome to our Community @kbarros!

As we collect and track all feedback requests to inform ongoing development of Paper I've gone ahead and put your request on our list. It would indeed be helpful to insert new lines while using LaTeX  with a shortcut like [Shift+Enter] as you mentioned! 

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments on this - I'll make sure to pass your suggestions to the team.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Elixir Super User
    kbarros New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?