Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

No Smart Sync Options In My Context Menu

Helpful | Level 5

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

I enabled Smart Sync a few hours ago. The files I did have removed via selective sync are now showing as "online-only". However when right clicking to view the context menu it just shows "Smart Sync" and no sub-menu with local or online-only. If I click "Smart Sync" in the menu nothing happens. Because of this the current status of all my files cannot change.

I have a Dropbox Plus account. I've tried rebooting multiple times and nothing seems to allow the sub-menu to show.

Any help would be appreciated. I wanted to use Smart Sync to clear space for a backup so I could update my OS (before anyone recommends I update the OS to solve).

Screenshot of what I see in my context menu:

Screenshot 2019-06-05 23.13.02.png

101 Replies

Re: No Smart Sync Options In My Context Menu

Dropboxer
Hey there @thisisaaron,

As a first step I might suggest trying a basic reinstall of the desktop app by uninstalling the current software and then downloading and installing the current version of the app. I would only suggest doing this though is the current sync status is showing “Up to date” so as not to interfere with any syncing progress.

If you still see the same issue, can you let me know the sync status of your desktop app? You can see this by clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. Also, please let me know the version of the app that is installed on your device.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne,

I did as you instructed and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. It is still not showing the correct options in the context menu.

Regarding the sync status, it is now trying to resync 100,000+ files and will likely take a long while.

Before I uninstalled I was running v75.3.114

When I reinstalled the app via your link it installed v74.4.115. Within a minute or two it had updated to v75.3.114. However, prior to it automatically updating it did display "Online-only" and "Local" in the main context menu with all the other dropbox menu items (not how it's meant to be I'm guessing).

Dropboxer
Hey again @thisisaaron,

So the app will be reindexing rather than fully syncing the files when you reinstalled the app, so it shouldn't take too long to finish that.

Now, you mentioned that you were seeing the context menu on 74.4.115 but not after updating to 75.3.114. The version you are now currently running is actually a beta version of the desktop app (denoted: XXX.3.XXX ) so we will need to disable the app from auto upgrading to the beta with the steps below:

1. Sign in to Dropbox online.
  2. Click the circular avatar icon in the top right of the web page.
  3. Choose Settings from the menu.
  4.  Towards the bottom of the page, toggle off “Early releases”.
  5. Download and install the current version of the desktop app.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Hey Daphne, that appears to have done the trick. With v74.4.115 the "Local" and "Online Only" appear in the main context menu. I am able to click on them and change the status of the folder/file. It's not a sub-menu as shown in your promotional images but I'm guessing it's this way because of my outdated OS.

I hope this issue is resolved when v75 comes out of beta and it updates for me.

Thank you for the help!

Screenshot 2019-06-06 13.04.02.png

Dropboxer
I’m glad to hear that all is working well now @thisisaaron!

Thanks a lot for providing the screenshot of the menu you see there, I’ll make sure to bring that up with our dev team. If you have any other issues or questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great weekend ahead - Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne, My Dropbox just auto-updated to v75.4.141 and now the same issue is back. All I see is "Smart Sync" in the main context menu and no submenu or way to change a file/folder to local or online only.

I had disabled early realeases as you suggested before so I'm guessing this is out of beta but still doesn't work.

Do you have a link or way I could revert to the older version?

Dropboxer

You can revert back to a previous version of the desktop app then you can do so from here. Although, we generally don’t recommend using older versions of the app as they don’t include the most recent fixes and security updates.

I’d maybe suggest a quick re-download and install of the current version (you won’t need to uninstall before), this might help with the issue.

However, if you’d like to do some troubleshooting can you let me know if the desktop app is showing “Up to date”? Have you restarted your device since the app updated to the latest version at all? 

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

Same issue here in Mac OS X 10.10.5. The Smart Sync > Local/Online Only are not present in 75.4.141. Unlinked account, uninstalled app and removed all prefs including .dropbox and reinstalled app. Issue is still present. I have tried 76.3.120 beta and it's the same thing.

Rolled back to 74.4.115 and context menus for local/online only are back. Unfortunately the Dropbox Autoupdate keeps updating to the latest stable build.

The only way to keep the autoupdate from messing with it is to block it via firewall.

Helpful | Level 5

I'm in the same boat... running Yosemite because of other professional apps stability issues.

How did you go about blocking updates via firewall?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

No Smart Sync Options In My Context Menu
101 Replies
21 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post