Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

No Sync Desktop Mac

Helpful | Level 6

No sync on Mac running El Capitan and Dropbox v 78.4.119.  Bandwith up and down set to no limit. Account unlinked and relinked. Upload Desktop Dropbox Folders individually via Chrome web browser will sync and update desktop Dropbox. I can watch the effect in the bottom sync bar of Dropbox's dropped menu window. ie I watch the number to sync decrease and when web upload complete, the number of days counts up to 100 and returns to stagnant blue spinning Syncing 1,315 files. 

Recent activity: I renamed a few folders and consolidated others.

View sync issues is a blank window. However, the space above that reports in grayed-out text that "Can't sync "file.pdf" (access denied)." Though that pdf has since been uploaded via web browser and shows on my phone. Still grayed-out in dropped window of user icon. Phone upload to Dropbox seems to work as expected. As does Web App on same MacMini.

Quit Dropbox and download DropboxInstaller.dmg. I did not trash the existing dropbox app. However, when running the installer the existing app dropped to zero bytes and updated to the same v78.4.119 on a MacMini running OS 10.11.6. Updating the OS is not considered an option. The dropbox folder no longer shows green synced and blue syncing folders and files as it had. I will restart the MacMini after finishing this, however, I had restarted only 20 minutes ago.

Google Drive uploads appropriately.

There is no OS system pref Firewall nor FileVault set. ie all off.

Your help appreciated.

7 Replies

Re: No Sync Desktop Mac

Helpful | Level 6

In addition 6 min later:

Restarted MacMini and Green and blue folder and file upload status returned.

And uploaded a very small document " file.md " from phone and it shows in Mac Mini Desktop folder.

Edited text of a text file in Dropbox Desktop folder which synced in seconds. ie blue to green quickly and shows in Dropbox dropdown.

I will likely upload more from Web Browser in an effort to update the MacMini files with the online database, with the concern that some of the folders were moved into other folders and with name changes. 

[is there no way to edit a previous post of mine to this community ie the above ?]

Dropboxer

Hey there @Marc H.7,

For editing your comments here on the Community, you should be able to click on the "..." in the top right corner of your comment. But not to worry!

From what I understand now, it seems like the desktop app is now syncing changes and is "Up to date", is that right? Please let me know if you're still seeing the error message in the sync status.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Clicking on the "..." in the top right corner of my comment does not give the choice to edit my comment. I get Subscribe to RSS feed, Get Direct Link, Print, Report  Inappropriate Content,  and even the grayed out entries do not show an "Edit" function.

As of my prior posts, the problem had remained. However, last night I deleted some of the Blue not synced Icons and re-put them where I wanted and now all seems appropriately functional.

Thank You

Dropboxer

Hey @Marc H.7,

I'm glad to hear that the syncing is working correctly now, awesome job on the troubleshooting there! Thanks for letting us know how you resolved this too, I'm sure it will be helpful to others also experiencing this.

If the issue should occur again or you have any other questions then please feel free to give me a nudge here and we can try get to the root cause.

Until then, I hope you have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Well, since you're here, I must tell you that the all synced status from last night is now syncing again. Some 17,000 files claiming to now have been uploaded. Well, at least it is not stuck or failing the upload. 

I just hope that syncing everything will not be an ongoing recurrence.

I consider the possibility it is related to opting in for the Dropbox application.

Thank you

Dropboxer

Hey @Marc H.7,

Sometimes the desktop app can show as "Syncing" when in fact it's indexing files, so on start up for example, you may be seeing "Syncing" instead of "Indexing".

Otherwise, if this occurs at random intervals it might be worth checking if you have symlinks within your Dropbox folder. You can check for symlinks within the Dropbox folder with the steps outlined in point 7 here.

Another reason may be if you recently unlinked or updated the desktop app as this would cause a re-indexing of the files within the Dropbox folder.

Hopefully you won't see this occurring again but if you do, please let me know and we can go from there - Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 6

Adding the resolution to my thread:

Uploading from my desktop PC dropbox folder was not happening over a period of days, as I first reported. The dropdown menu showed spinning icon sync with ~3,000 files ongoing. I was able to upload via the web browser which then caused the files count to decrease, but then 5 days, 10 days etc to 100 days and back to stagnant.

What solved the problem was identifying some of the none synced files. Remove to my desktop or copied to my desktop and then deleted from all dropbox. Renamed a couple of folders via the browser, that had been renamed in the desktop folder. And eventually, the sync completed. It was as if some of the renamed and moved files and or new folders had caught a snag that the desktop dropbox did not report as an error. The bottleneck corrected by pulling the files marked with blue non-synced icon out of the desktop dropbox folder until the sync progressed as normal until completion. Which did not require pulling everything, so it could have been one file or a combination of files and folder renamed.

The re-sync of everything the next day was a one-time event, so far and dropbox is working great.

The inability to edit via the menu item  " ••• "  has now corrected. That is to say, today I see that there is a section above the Subscribe to RSS feed line the topmost of which is "Edit Message" or "Edit Reply."  

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

No Sync Desktop Mac
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post