cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

No video control progress bar on streaming video in Android app

New member | Level 2

Hi all. I hope someone can assist with a strange issue. I recently started seeing an issue with streaming video (mostly mp4 format) from the dropbox app on Android. When streaming video, after pressing play to start the video, I can't access the progress bar of the video so I can skip ahead or go back in the video, or see how much time is left in the video. Tapping my screen does not cause the bar to appear. I also noticed that tapping my screen does not cause the pause button to appear. I've tried dragging my finger up from the bottom of the screen to see if I could get the progress bar to appear, but it only causes the comment field to appear. It seems as if the video controls are unaccessible once video starts streaming. Please note, if I set the video to offline, I don't have this problem. I assume I don't have the problem when viewing offline video because I'm using an available media player on my local device to play the video, not relying on dropbox to stream it at that point. This seems like a recent issue. I've streamed plenty of video from my Dropbox app in the past on this same phone without issues before. Has anyone seen this? Just so everyone knows, I've force closed the app multiple times, cleared cache, restarted my phone, and have tried multiple videos, long and short, located in different folders. I'm on app version 158.2.2. I'm running android 9 (not rooted) on a OnePlus 5.

3 Replies

Re: No video control progress bar on streaming video in Android app

Dropboxer

Hey there @DJones722,

Thanks for the extensive info you've provided here and great job on the troubleshooting so far!

Could you to try re-installing the Dropbox app on your mobile to see if that will do the trick, since you're seeing this behaviour consistently with multiple videos throughout your account.

Let me know how it goes and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Hi Daphne. Thanks for getting back to me. It looks like the problem might be with my phone. I uninstalled and reinstalled on my phone and got the same results. For clarification, I tried the same thing on a different android phone, different android OS version, with different customizations because it's from a different manufacturer, but running the same version of Dropbox, and I didn't experience the same problem. Only thing left me to do I wipe my phone and start from the beginning, but I'm not planning on that. I'll leave this be and maybe a future update to Dropbox and or my phone will correct whatever is the problem here.

Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that @DJones722!

To have a look into this further, I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile. If you're interested to continue looking into this, please just check your inbox when you have the time and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

No video control progress bar on streaming video in Android app
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post