Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Offline settings don't stick

Explorer | Level 3

I set files/folders to online only. I see the icon change to a cloud. Looks good. Within a few seconds, there's new activity and the file/folder is back to being local again. 

I looked at a prior community topic on this same subject, but it did not contain a resolution - looks like the OP was contacted directly.

Running Catalina 10.15.1.

Please help! I'm rapidly losing disk space. 

6 Replies

Re: Offline settings don't stick

Dropboxer

Hi Tony! Welcome to our Community!

Usually, when you see files downloaded from Dropbox to your computer that were previously online-only,  and you didn’t open or change the files, another application on your computer might be causing the issue. Some applications need to look at your files to work, and that makes Dropbox download the files.

For more information, please take a look at the following Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync-files-downloaded

If you're still  having issues with this, please let me know and we'll take it from there @tonygoulding!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Walter,

I'm not talking about the odd one or two files, I'm talking about our entire corporate dropbox (thousands of files). I can't imagine they all have an app dependency keeping them local.

So yes, I'd like to explore this further since I don't have the disk space for the entire fileset. 

Thanks

Tony.

Dropboxer

I see! Thanks for the clarification Tony. 

At this point, I'll need a visual of where you spotted the space discrepancy you mentioned and a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status as shown within your computer's menu bar. 

Thank you!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Walter- just for completeness, I deinstalled Dropbox completely, then reinstalled and I'm still having exactly the same issue.

Tony.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Probably the best way to show you the issue is with a short video recording. However, I don't want to share that publically, so please advise how best to do that privately?

Thanks

Tony.

Dropboxer

Thanks for briefing me in on this Tony!

I've just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address to have a look into this internally.

Whenever you get the chance, take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Offline settings don't stick
6 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post