Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

On 1/29 several folders and files were deleted without an event logged

Explorer | Level 3

Hi - I swear I looked around for an answer but we have several folders and many files deleted from dropbox.  Nothing shows in the events or activity logs and they do not appear as deleted files.  I downloaded the actuivity report for the month and I can see some of these files being added, edited and nothing else.  Gone as of 1/29/19.  I know this because I was randomly backing up a drive in the morning and the dropbox as of then was in the image.

I've opened an issue but I'm just wondering if stuff like this has happened before as it scares the heck out of me.  Do I really need to back up a Dropbox folder and version it?

Tags (1)
9 Replies

Re: On 1/29 several folders and files were deleted without an event logged

Dropboxer

Hey there, @ftjoe

At first, I'd recommend checking this thread out by @Jay who provides some ideas on how a file or folder may get deleted. 

As per your concern though, I was able to locate your open request and I can see that a member of my team is reviewing this for you. I've made sure to pass your comments along to them, so when they have more info on the matter, they'll get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Well I keep being pointed to solutions that assume we changed the share options or deleted the files and folders.  If I have a file that is shown as added on 1/2/19 in the activity report, and is now gone from dropbox without any subsequent activity, how does that happen if Dropbox didn't hiccup and can I actually find it to restore if Dropbox didn't record it being deleted?  The share on the entire root folder is by team.  We are still working and I do have a backup of sorts from but as time drags on, reconciing this issue becomes problematic. 

Dropboxer

Hey again, @ftjoe

Initially, please remember that Dropbox doesn't delete your files. If you can't find activity regarding the folder you're looking for through the Activity tab in the Admin Console, you can also check your events page for more info on what's occurred to content in your account. 

Furthermore, to restore a deleted folder of file, you can do so by following the steps outlined in this article. If you have trouble locating the folder or file in question, you can always contact our Support team.

In any case, if you have any additional questions regarding this matter, please don't hesitate to get back to the member of my team you're in contact with via email due to account-sensitive info that's necessary to further investigate. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the info Lusil.  I'll wait for the support process to move along and I believe I have supplied the necessary account information.  Navigating the events page is difficult especially when I do not know when this "event" occurred.  Are you saying a file or folder can go missing and not appear in the activity report?  That's ultimately my question.

I have tried to use the deleted screen to find the files or folders that went missing.  None of them appear, but I can find ones we actually deleted (and appear in the activity report) when I navigate to their folder.  The folders that are no longer visible to us (deleted from my perspective) don't even appear when I click on the Folder filter selector.  So it would be difficult to find them if I can't see the folders that used to be there.  Again, they do not appear in the activity report.  I have given an example of one file to the support person to investigate how it "disappeared".  Hopefully it is just something we did but the system didn't seem to record it.

Dropboxer

Hey @ftjoe, I’m afraid I’m not able to pin-point what the cause of this could be, but rest assured my colleague reviewing this matter for you through your email interaction will do their best to assist you. slightly smiling face

Lusil

New member | Level 2
I have alao had this issue with three files that i know i haven't deleted. Support tells me there is no trace of these files being uploaded to Dropbox but i know for certain they were and their supporting files are still in the relevant folders . this has really undermined my confidence in Dropbox. Not so much that it happened but more that there seems to no solution or explanation

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @Marion C.

Since you mention that you’ve been in communication with our Support, I was able to find your open communication that’s ongoing with a specialized member of my team. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to them.

Due to account-specific info required to look into this matter for you, I’d kindly recommend continuing this discussion with them as they’ll be able to investigate this for you more efficiently. When they have more info on the matter, they’ll get back to you via email. Rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you on this. slightly smiling face

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Well this is priceless.  Never got a resolution to the actual issue but I was having problems with the Deleted files and Events dialogs/web pages.  I did have my own offline backup so I I told the support person I would handle restoring the deleted files and folders as people continued to work.  The support person asked if I could provide some samples of what was odd about the Deleted Files and Events pages so I gave them to move to web support for help.  Just got a message they initiated a restore.  I AM FREAKING OUT.

Explorer | Level 3

I got a list of folders/files restored and a backup from earlier today so hopefully we are okay.  Asked the support person to close the ticket.  Would have been nice to know why some deleted folders didn't show up in the Deleted Files dialog for over a week (I have screen prints to prove it) but can't afford to have the team messed around with anymore.  So in closing, when support suggests several tools such as deleted files and events to find things, and they don't work correctly, I lose some confidence in how things are managed.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

On 1/29 several folders and files were deleted without an event logged
9 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post