Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

One Laptop, Work & Personal Login, One Dropbox Account?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I use my laptop for both business & personal use and have set up 2 accounts for work and personal.  Before DROPBOX i had a common set of files & folders hanging off the C:\Drive.  This meant that i could easily access my files and folders from either account without the need to switch users etc

Then i got dropbox.  And i thought this worked exactly the same way...however, i have just discovered that DROPBOX appears to store my files twice!  There is a full set of files on each user account.  

This not only uses up valuable storage, it is basically duplicating my files on the same laptop!  And I have also discovered that "selective sync" can cause major issues with this set up (something the DROPBOX dialogue box fails to warn about when activating selective sync!

Is there a way to have DROPBOX sit on C:|DRIVE with multiple users all accessing the same set of folders without duplication and messing up the sync?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

6 Replies

Re: One Laptop, Work & Personal Login, One Dropbox Account?

Super User II

With two computer user accounts, with Dropbox installed separately on each one (two sets of files), using Selective Sync should not be an issue at all. Each installation is treated separately and Selective Sync can be used on both accounts. The problem with Selective Sync comes from pointing two installations of Dropbox to the same folder, i.e. C:\Dropbox. In this case, Selective Sync WILL cause problems and loss of data. DO NOT DO IT.

The following is completely unsupported by Dropbox. If you run into any problems, you'll need to change it all back before Support would be able to assist you.

If you want two installations of Dropbox to point to one Dropbox folder, first make sure that both installations are fully updated and that nothing is syncing. Disable Selective Sync in both accounts so that all of your files are syncing and wait until they have fully synced. Once syncing has completed on both accounts, uninstall Dropbox on one of them (it doesn't matter which) and rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar. This will act as a backup for the moment, in case something goes wrong.

Next, log back into the other account and go into Dropbox Preferences. Use the Move function on the Sync tab to move its Dropbox folder to C:\Dropbox or some other common location. Wait for the move to complete and if any files have changed in the meantime, wait for Dropbox to finish syncing.

Log back into the other account and reinstall Dropbox. During the installation there's an Advanced Options link. Clicking this will allow you to specify a different location for the Dropbox folder. Specify the same location you chose previously. Important note: You're specifying the folder where it will create a Dropbox folder. If you moved the folder to C:\Dropbox then you want to specify C:\ as the location. If you specify C:\Dropbox, you'll end up with C:\Dropbox\Dropbox, i.e. a big mess! Once you've selected the folder and finished the installation, Dropbox will need to index all of your files. Be patient and let it work. Do not switch accounts or log off until it's complete.

If you get a message that says something like "A Dropbox folder already exists in this location," do the following. Rename C:\Dropbox to C:\Dropbox_NEW. Finish the installation and specify C:\Dropbox as the location. It will create a new Dropbox folder and start to sync. Immediately exit the Dropbox client. Delete the newly created Dropbox folder and rename Dropbox_NEW back to Dropbox. Re-launch Dropbox and allow it to index your files.

Dropboxer

Hey @MikeT2018,

I will agree with @Rich and I will also add my 2 cents here.

You can't link multiple accounts to one Dropbox installation nor it's possible to have multiple Dropbox installations.

The only way to link 2 account to the same application is if you have 1 individual account (Basic, Plus, Professional) and 1 team account (Standard or Advanced Business). But it's not possible to have 2 individual (or 2 team) accounts linked.

What you can try is to use 1 account from the app and have the second account logged in from a private/incognito browser page.

I hope this workaround will help! winking face

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Rich

Apologies it has taken me so long to respond - I really appreciate you taking the time to offer help with this.

I understand what you're saying - it makes sense. I just wish Dropbox (I have professional subscription) would allow an authorised and blanket managed "system" install eg C:\Drive install rather than by user accounts. Would make life much easier.

I like the sync side of things across all devices but having to do a workaround to get one set of files and folders on my own laptop seems quite complex and fraught with possible issues.

Thanks once again for the helpful advice. Really nice of you to take time to give me this help.

Kind regards
]
Mike

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Minato

Thanks for taking time to offer help.

Much appreciated

Kind regards

MIke

New member | Level 2

I think I have the flip of this problem. I have two user profiles on my MacBook pro. I want the team Dropbox account I'm part of to sync to just one of the user profiles. It looks like it syncs to both, gobbling up space on my hard drive. I do have to use Selective Sync so that the rest of my team's folders don't download to my laptop.

How can I keep my Dropbox files attached to just one user profile?

Appreciate any help

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Again

I have worked out a MUCH simpler solution to this problem.

As i have said, i have 1 laptop and 2 users (both me - business & pleasure). 

The solution was very simple.  I have dropbox Pro on User 1 with all my files which sync to the dropbox cloud.

I have then added a desktop shortcut on user 2 which connects me directly to user 1 dropbox account.  I have also added a "quicklink" item in user 2 so i can open or save to the main dropbox account from any application i am using.

I can't see any issues with this so far, and everything syncs as it should do with no problems at all.  And the best bit, is this was very simple.

Anybody able to call out potential issues with this soultion?

Kind regards

Mike

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

One Laptop, Work & Personal Login, One Dropbox Account?
6 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post