Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Optimal settings when uploading iPhone photos

Explorer | Level 3

I am curious to know about what file type you would suggest using when uploading Live Photo’s and portrait photos from an iPhone. I currently have settings to upload the Dropbox-recommended jpg but I would love to preserve the live and portrait elements of my photos if it would do so without losing quality and especially if I could later convert those files to jpg. We have many photos and would love to properly back them up in the very best way before deleting them from my phone.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Optimal settings when uploading iPhone photos

Dropboxer
Hey @Lizrs3a, I’ll my best to advise; thanks for checking in with us! 

Kindly note that you should be able to reference this previous discussion regarding photos captured in portrait-mode, which should now be uploaded alongside the originals in your Dropbox account if you’re using the Camera Uploads feature. 

That being said, there’s the exception of Live and Burst images, which can be manually uploaded at the moment. This limitation comes from how iOS deals with these files.

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiries, however please let me know here if you have any follow-up questions! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
Thank you. I tried using the manual plus sign to upload a Live Photo and it uploaded in heic but I see no motion in it like it appears on my phone and in google and amazon photos. Is there a way to preserve the motion effect of Live Photo’s?

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me @Lizrs3a

While I can’t be sure of how these third-party apps perform in this respect, kindly note that you should be able to preview these file types in Dropbox, however this pertains to the filetype & image. 

I hope my message above sheds a bit of light!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Optimal settings when uploading iPhone photos
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post