Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Organizing Camera Uploads folder

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I need some help, please. I have several questions regarding the Camera Uploads folder. I'd like an easy way to organize this folder and find images.

For reference - I have an Individual Plus plan. 

1) What is the best way to move thousands of photos from the Camera Uploads folder to other folders in Dropbox so I can better organize them, without having to sync the Camera Uploads folder to my computer? My computer simply does not have enough hard drive space to sync all the photos to more easily organize them - so I have to use the web interface unless there's a better way to do this?

2) As I understand it, if I do move photos from Camera Uploads to another folder within Dropbox, the photos that I've moved still remain in the Camera Uploads folder. When moving thousands of photos at a time (this can't all be done at once), how can I know what has been moved and what hasn't?

3) My understanding is that in order to use third party tools (such as Hazel) to help automate and organize the Camera Uploads folder, you have to have your Camera Uploads folder synced via the desktop app.  As mentioned above, I can't do this as my hard drive simple does not have enough space. Is there a solution?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm struggling to figure out the best way to organize the Camera Uploads.

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
2 Replies

Re: Organizing Camera Uploads folder

Super User II

1) Just move them using the Dropbox website as you would any other file. Select one or more files using the check boxes to the left of each file, then click the Move link on the right side of the page. You could also do it using the Dropbox mobile app.

2) Photos you move out of the Camera Uploads folder will not remain in the folder. They will if you copy them, but not if you move them. You may be confusing Camera Uploads for the Photos page, which shows all images in your account, regardless of which folder they're in.

3) I'm not familiar with Hazel so I can't comment specifically on that, but any software you install on your computer will likely want to use the local Dropbox folder, which means you'd have to sync it locally. There may be applications that use the Dropbox API, which wouldn't need access to the files locally, but I don't know of any.

The best suggestion I can offer... hard drives are cheap. Get a larger drive or install a second one, and sync your entire Dropbox folder locally. It will make things a lot easier for you.

Re: Organizing Camera Uploads folder

New member | Level 2

Thank you so much for your reply, incredibly helpful. Much appreciated!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Organizing Camera Uploads folder
2 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post