cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Our files are taking up space even though everything is marked as 'Online Only'

New member | Level 2

Needing some advice on storage.  We are having some problems with DropBox storing tons of data on our local disc however, everything is checked in the SmartSync as "online only" This is really bogging one of our computers down.  ANY help is greatly appreciated!

6 Replies

Re: Our files are taking up space even though everything is marked as 'Online Only'

Dropboxer

Hi @dsmithquestfire, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info. For example:

• What does your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock show when you hover over it? 
  • What do you see in relation to how much space is being taken up on your disk if you right-click on your Dropbox folder and select Properties (Windows) or Get info (Mac)?

Any screenshots (without personal details) would also be helpful. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Our files are taking up space even though everything is marked as 'Online Only'

Explorer | Level 4

We've been experiencing this issue as well. Some files selectively sync just as they should, while other "online only" files are taking up substantial storage space on some of our hard drives.

Explorer | Level 4

Lusil, here is a link to another thread where this issue is being discussed. No clear solutions yet, unfortunately.

Dropboxer

Hey @William86, thanks for nudging me here and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with the space on your hard drive.

I found your ticket that's been reviewed by a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. 

I can see that they've replied back to you, so please check your inbox for their latest message when you have the chance, and don't hesitate to get back to them with any additional info or questions.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know. Thanks!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm the admin for a business account and one of my users is having this same issue. All of the files have the cloud icons next to them, but his hard drive is nearly full. I looked at the large files stored on his computer and they were all in Dropbox. If a solution for this was posted, I missed it. Thank you! 

Amy

Dropboxer

Hey @aimlessly, thanks for reaching out to me - I'm more than happy to help!

Since it's another user who's experiencing this behavior, could you please ask them to submit a ticket to our Support team and let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) so that I can look into this for them?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Our files are taking up space even though everything is marked as 'Online Only'
6 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post