cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Out of disk space on my Mac, so trying to reconfigure. Need help!

New member | Level 2

I am a business user and files that are added by my colleagues are saving to my hard drive. I need to free up space but don't want to delete any files that might belong to a coworker. I had selective sync setup for folders I don't need as often, but I need to clean it up even further. As I was doing that last night, I ran out of disk space all together and am now stuck. I've removed the dropbox app from my laptop and was thinking I should remove all of the local files as well (seems the only way would be to start fresh). 

Can I delete all of the files without it syncing and deleting shared files on the cloud (as long as the app is no longer on my mac), then reload everything with smart sync setup? 

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Out of disk space on my Mac, so trying to reconfigure. Need help!

Dropboxer

Hey @KellyCH - welcome to our Community and thanks for posting your first question.

To cut things short, yes, since you've already uninstalled the desktop application from your computer, you're safe to delete your Dropbox folder from your computer to make up hard drive space without affecting your Dropbox files as this would be a local copy of your files; not a live, syncing one. 

Upon re-installing the app, make sure to choose the 'Online Only' through your Smart Sync options (you'll get asked during the signing in process) and you should be good to go.

Let me know how it goes Kelly!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

It worked. Thank you for the quick response, @Walter !

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop Kelly; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now grinning face

Have a lovely week ahead and if you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us winking face

Thanks for using Dropbox @KellyCH

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Out of disk space on my Mac, so trying to reconfigure. Need help!
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post