Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Over 100,000 files suddenly appeared in dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

Over 100,000 files with names like 1D2COE30 have suddenly appeared in my Dropbox.  All files have a size of 0 kb.  How can I get rid of them quickly and where did they come from?

4 Replies

Re: Over 100,000 files suddenly appeared in dropbox

Super User II

Sounds like a linked device has uploaded some temp files.

To work out where go to www.dropbox.com/home and find one of the files. Click on the tick box to the left of the screen and then 'restore previous versions'. It shows you there where they came from.

To remove them you could try Dropbox Rewind to before they were added, or, log a ticket and ask for a rollback: www.dropbox.com/support

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3
Thank thank you for your response. However when I checked the box to the left of the file I did not see the option "restore previous versions". I've ended up selecting anywhere from 500 to 15,000 files at a time and deleting them. I didn't want to do a rewind because these files were added on July 8, 2019. I've made a lot of changes to dropbox since then.

Super User

Are all of the files in the same folder? If there's nothing else in that folder, you could just delete the entire folder instead of the individual files.

What kind of device are you using to access Dropbox? If you have access to a desktop computer, then you could try downloading the Dropbox desktop application and removing the files through File Explorer.

Explorer | Level 3
I did have access to a desktop computer with Dropbox app on it. I ended up deleting the files using file explorer. it took many hours to accomplish the task. However, I also had the files on another computer and a laptop. I ended up deleting them on a laptop using the DOS command DEL /F/Q/S *.* > NUL and it deleted them in a matter of seconds.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Over 100,000 files suddenly appeared in dropbox
4 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post