cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PDF files open as read only on Acrobat Reader (on Android)

PDF files open as read only on Acrobat Reader (on Android)

Pierre M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I haven't had any problem editing PDF files on my Android tablet until now. I simply opened dropbox, and opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox.

Lately, when I open a PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox, I get an error message telling me I can only open the file read-only. This applies to all my files.

When I open a PDF directly from Adobe Acrobat, I don't have this problem.

I suspect this is related to a recent update of either app.

40 Replies 40

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

IF they come back to me with a solution I will post it on here - it is so fustrating I am now trying to see if an iPad has the same problem.

Pierre M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm still stuck too, and I find this email communication odd as well.

To their credit though, it seems the issue is related to Acrobat as well, so I think Adobe at least share the blame.

Xodo seems to work, but I find Acrobat better. Also, it seems that the edits I made in Acrobat are not visible when I load the PDF in Xodo.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

has anyone had any success with this yet? this is a serious issue for me

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just wondering if this problem is just on Android or is it affecting IOS as well it would be helpful to know.

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have just spent over an hour trying to find a solution with Adobe on their webchat all they want to do is sell Acrobat pro DC which only works on a desktop so no use to us

I asked them -  What product can I use on my tablet to edit, sign and save pdf documents in dropbox

They replied -  I am not sure, because we are from Acrobat team and we can only guide you with the Acrobat application, but I would like to inform you that Acrobat pro dc is a desktop application, however you can use Reader dc to open and view files.

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, I am from technical support team and we used to handle all the queries related to Acrobat and its features.

you: can you tell me why acrobat no longer works as it did on Android

Ratan Das: I would be glad to transfer you with other team, if there is such team available, but we are the technical team, who used to take care of technical issue.

you: If you are the technical team do you not have any knowledge of the android applications

Ratan Das: Because it is a desktop application, and it never worked on Android or on Ipad, however you can use Reader dc, but using that application you can only open and view files.

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, we only supports desktop applications.

you: I understand that, but Adobe Acrobat was doing this until last week it is not the DC version

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, you might be using the different application, but Acrobat pro dc is a desktop application.

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And finally - if he is right or not I have no idea.

Ratan Das: You can open and sign the file and document. Ratan Das: But you can not edit the document. you: where can I find the download you: So adobe do not have anything that will now edit, sign and save for an Android device Ratan Das: https://get.adobe.com/reader/?loc%81%81%82%8A%82%90 you: you: So adobe do not have anything that will now edit, sign and save for an Android device Ratan Das: I am really sorry, for Android we do not have such application in which you can edit, however you can open and view the document in Android phone.

mattheeussen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Xodo works for me, lets forget adobe...

LuizFNetto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Xodo works just fine. Have you guys seen the last update log from Xodo?

I believe that this problem was caused by some change at the Dropbox app (or even from Android OS) . And, I think that both companies, Dropbox and Adobe, aren't talking about the problem to exchange a solution.

I will stuck with Xodo for now, thinking about the iPad that I should have bought. 

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have just put Xodo on and it seems to work well.

Juliandel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What was the last update log? What did it say?

Need more support?