cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PDF files open as read only on Acrobat Reader (on Android)

PDF files open as read only on Acrobat Reader (on Android)

Pierre M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I haven't had any problem editing PDF files on my Android tablet until now. I simply opened dropbox, and opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox.

Lately, when I open a PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox, I get an error message telling me I can only open the file read-only. This applies to all my files.

When I open a PDF directly from Adobe Acrobat, I don't have this problem.

I suspect this is related to a recent update of either app.

40 Replies 40

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

IF they come back to me with a solution I will post it on here - it is so fustrating I am now trying to see if an iPad has the same problem.

Pierre M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm still stuck too, and I find this email communication odd as well.

To their credit though, it seems the issue is related to Acrobat as well, so I think Adobe at least share the blame.

Xodo seems to work, but I find Acrobat better. Also, it seems that the edits I made in Acrobat are not visible when I load the PDF in Xodo.

New member | Level 2
Go to solution

has anyone had any success with this yet? this is a serious issue for me

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just wondering if this problem is just on Android or is it affecting IOS as well it would be helpful to know.

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have just spent over an hour trying to find a solution with Adobe on their webchat all they want to do is sell Acrobat pro DC which only works on a desktop so no use to us

I asked them -  What product can I use on my tablet to edit, sign and save pdf documents in dropbox

They replied -  I am not sure, because we are from Acrobat team and we can only guide you with the Acrobat application, but I would like to inform you that Acrobat pro dc is a desktop application, however you can use Reader dc to open and view files.

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, I am from technical support team and we used to handle all the queries related to Acrobat and its features.

you: can you tell me why acrobat no longer works as it did on Android

Ratan Das: I would be glad to transfer you with other team, if there is such team available, but we are the technical team, who used to take care of technical issue.

you: If you are the technical team do you not have any knowledge of the android applications

Ratan Das: Because it is a desktop application, and it never worked on Android or on Ipad, however you can use Reader dc, but using that application you can only open and view files.

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, we only supports desktop applications.

you: I understand that, but Adobe Acrobat was doing this until last week it is not the DC version

Ratan Das: I am really sorry, you might be using the different application, but Acrobat pro dc is a desktop application.

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And finally - if he is right or not I have no idea.

Ratan Das: You can open and sign the file and document. Ratan Das: But you can not edit the document. you: where can I find the download you: So adobe do not have anything that will now edit, sign and save for an Android device Ratan Das: https://get.adobe.com/reader/?loc%81%81%82%8A%82%90 you: you: So adobe do not have anything that will now edit, sign and save for an Android device Ratan Das: I am really sorry, for Android we do not have such application in which you can edit, however you can open and view the document in Android phone.

mattheeussen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Xodo works for me, lets forget adobe...

LuizFNetto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Xodo works just fine. Have you guys seen the last update log from Xodo?

I believe that this problem was caused by some change at the Dropbox app (or even from Android OS) . And, I think that both companies, Dropbox and Adobe, aren't talking about the problem to exchange a solution.

I will stuck with Xodo for now, thinking about the iPad that I should have bought. 

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have just put Xodo on and it seems to work well.

Juliandel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What was the last update log? What did it say?

Need more support?