cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

PDF thumbnail in online only but not in downloaded PDF files (Windows)

Helpful | Level 5

It is just curious that in a folder, all not downloaded PDF shows a very good thumbnail built by Dropbox, but when I make that file local only, thumbnail disapears and is replaced by a generic PDF icon.

Is it possible to show the thumbnail in the downloaded files as well? I tried to install another program to show thumbnails for PDF files (last official Acrobat Reader), but it shows generated thumbnails in all folders *except* in Dropbox ones. I assume Dropbox is in complete control of their own folders... 

Any idea on how to show thumbnails for downloaded PDF files *into* Dropbox folder? 

3 Replies

Re: PDF thumbnail in online only but not in downloaded PDF files (Windows)

Helpful | Level 5

Sorry, forgot to add my working environment: Windows 10 Pro 1909 English, x64, i9 and 16 GB RAM.

Dropboxer

Hi @rfog - how are you today?

As I'm not sure I follow here, could you forward me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end?

I'll do my best to advise further then.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, of course. This is Drobpox folder with some PDF. You can see thumbnails on those that have the "cloud" icon, and default Sumatra PDF viewer icon when it is downloaded.

Annotation 2020-01-07 153521.pngIf I make C++ in detail online only, it gets its thumbnail:

Annotation 2020-01-07 153649.png

Now if I set PdfPreview as default PDF Viewer... I get the previews inside Dropbox folder and seems I mistaked something because now is working as expected:Annotation 2020-01-07 154657.png

When the file is handled by Dropbox, Dropbox paints the thumbnail, when Windows controls the file, is the Explorer who paints the thumbnail. 

I don't know what did wrong but now seems working fine. 

Thanks.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

PDF thumbnail in online only but not in downloaded PDF files (Windows)
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post