cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Paper 2020 Doc Created in Doc Saved to Root Folder

Helpful | Level 6

I appear to be on the new Paper 2020 release because I can create Paper documents in any folder in Dropbox. I'm trying to create a knowledge base in a folder I share with a group I am working with on a specific project, but each time I create a new Paper document from within an existing document in that folder, the new document is created in the root folder of my Dropbox file tree instead of in the same folder as the document from which I created it. I then need to manually move the document to the shared knowledge base folder in order for my group to be able to find it and to keep things organized and segregated between my projects.

Is this behavior by design? Is there a setting I can change to save new docs created within docs to the same folder? Am I doing something wrong?

5 Replies

Re: Paper 2020 Doc Created in Doc Saved to Root Folder

Dropboxer

Hi @icrosby, I hope you're well today!

So it sounds like you're creating a new Paper doc while you're within one of the Paper docs in your shared folder, right? The behaviour you described would be expected.

It's similar to what would have happened when creating a new Paper doc within the Paper homepage, as the new doc wouldn't be created within the same folder.

However, I can suggest that once you've created a new doc from within another doc, you can click the "..." option from the top right of the page and choose "Move".

From there, you can choose the correct folder without needing to exit the Paper doc view and manually move the doc.

Perhaps I can suggest sharing this idea (adding the new doc within the same folder) in our dedicated area of the Community here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6
In the meantime, if I forget to move the new doc, or somebody else in my shared folder creates a new doc that is saved to their root folder and forgets to move it, will it be accessible to people who try to navigate to it from the link that gets created in the original doc in the shared folder?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @icrosby!

In this case, I'm afraid there wouldn't be any link from the original doc to the newly created doc so navigating to it wouldn't be possible unless it's moved to the shared folder.

Sorry that I can't provide a work around for that, other than to move the file from within the Paper doc.

Keep me posted with any questions!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

I made the suggestion to change this but this really should be treated as a bug that needs to be fixed. If you create a new document from an existing shared document using the "+" syntax, the default behavior creates a link that won't work other users of the document. Links to new documents created from an existing document should have the same permissions as the parent by default.

Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing that in our "Paper ideas" section @icrosby!

Also, I've made a note of your feedback on the current behaviour. I appreciate you taking the time to share with with us on the Community.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Paper 2020 Doc Created in Doc Saved to Root Folder
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post