cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protect folders

Password protect local folders

niknes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I would like to know if there is the possibility to protect access to the Dropbox local folder on the PC, using a password. This because I installed Dropbox even on the PC in office. This PC is used by different users and anyone could view the contents of my Dropbox folder. Is there a possibility to protect this folder with a password or other software?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has no such feature. Use the security options built-in to the operating system to protect the folder. First and foremost, each user should be using their own computer account. Secure your account and no one (but the admins) can access the data within it.

Moderator note: You can read into a similar thread here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Make-my-Dropbox-folder-hidden-so-people-can...

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

jennieng
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
If someone happen to use my computer and click the dropbox icon shown on my desktop, he/she will be able to see my files because there is no password protected. Is there anyway that can key in the password to protect my files?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No - but that is because the folder is no different to any other on your machine. What would happen if they went to 'My Documents' or your desktop?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there jennieng, welcome to the Forum & thanks for posting your feedback!

I agree with what Mark mentioned, but I would also like to add the option of Selective Syncing your files. This means that unless a user changes your Preferences” from the Dropbox desktop icon, they will not be able to see all of your files. I would also suggest putting a user password on your computer. 

I hope this was helpful. Please let us know if you have any more questions & I look forward to your posts in the future. Have a wonderful day in the mean time!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Password protecting your computer user account is the ONLY solution you should consider. If your computer user account is not protected then all of your files anywhere on your computer are accessible, along with the Dropbox application preferences.

If you don't protect your user account and instead rely on security by obscurity, such as using Selective Sync as @Lusil mentioned, then all someone has to do is access Dropbox preferences and renable syncing for those files. And really, they don't even need to do that as the Dropbox application would also allow them to access your account online where all of your files are available.

The ONLY solution is to protect your computer user account with a password and make sure you lock your account when you step away from the computer.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has no such feature. Use the security options built-in to the operating system to protect the folder. First and foremost, each user should be using their own computer account. Secure your account and no one (but the admins) can access the data within it.

Moderator note: You can read into a similar thread here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Make-my-Dropbox-folder-hidden-so-people-can...

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey niknes, welcome & thanks for posting your question on the Dropbox Community, I hope you’re doing well today! 

As Rich mentioned above, such a functionality pertains locally to your operating system, hence you may find some alternative ways to accomplish your task if run a search on google. To re-phrase Rich’s last response, since Dropbox is merely a folder on your computer that’s also syncing online, it keeps the accessibility controls set on your User Profile. 

I do appreciate your interest though & I’ll make sure to pass your comments on to the devs for further consideration. 

Please let us know on this discussion if you have any additional questions & we’ll do our best to check back with you. Happy Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi, I can give you one of many ways to implement what you want. 

If you are using a computer that can be accessed by others, I would recommend using a encrypted volume. You can use TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt. It is a third party software, which you need to install in your office PC. These software lets you create encrypted data volumes, and use a password to access/decrypt the content stored there. 

First, you install TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt. Create a new volume of resonable size depending on your need (slightly bigger than your Dropbox folder size). You can store it anywhere in the PC that you have access. Use a strong password for the data volume encryption. 

Next mount that volume using the same software. It will ask you password. Now you will see this data container as a new drive. You can move your dropbox to this new drive. 

Now there are couple of hassles. Whenever you leave your PC, you should quit dropbox (make sure dropbox completed any sync process), and then unmount the encrypted volume. 

Next time you come back to use the PC agin, mount the data volume first, and restart Dropbox. Also, it is better not to auto start Dropbox when your PC starts (because with a PC restart, your encrypted data volume woun't be available, and if Dropbox starts it woudn't find the folder path. Once you mount the volume, you can start Dropbox). 

sidgusting
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What he asked was a practical question. So when you say "First and foremost, each user should be using their own computer account", that only holds good for an MNC setup. What about a SOHO setup? There could also be a home PC where diff users can password-protect different folders within the same dropbox account using the same computer. Dropbox can easily add this feature (protecting folders) without affecting syncing in the background..

Bob39
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is a major flaw in the security of the system / can you have your developers look into this with some urgency?

Need more support?