Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Pathfinder Causing Infinite Resync of Tagged Dropbox Files

New member | Level 2

I'm running Dropbox on my iMac with Mojave, and I'm using Pathfinder 7 as my file manager. Ever since I updated to the latest version of Dropbox ( 71.4.108 ) highlighting or opening a file in Pathfinder that has a colored tag I made with PF causes Dropbox to start endlessly resyncing that file, at about one sync per second. Even if I remove the tag, the file will continue to resync endlesslessly, until I highlight a different file. When I open the same file using Finder or Pitchfork, there are no problems with infinite resync. I have this setup (Mojave / Pathfinder / Dropbox) on three different Macs, using two different Dropvox accounts, and, since the latest release of Dropbox, I have the same problem on all three. I really don't want to abandon Pathfinder 7, as it has features that other file management programs don't. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on and maybe suggest a fix? Thanks!

6 Replies

Re: Pathfinder Causing Infinite Resync of Tagged Dropbox Files

Dropboxer
Hi there @LeonJackson, sorry to hear that. 

Since you’ve confirmed that your desktop app is updated to the latest stable version (71.4.108), could you also let me know if it’s still syncing or up to date by clicking on the Dropbox icon

Additionally, since the desktop app will sync files and folders placed inside of the Dropbox folder, could the behavior you’re experiencing be due to symlinks by any chance? 

Symlinks refer to data in locations outside of the Dropbox folder and, in order to ensure the performance of the desktop app, we recommend that you remove them. If you're not sure if you have symlinks in your Dropbox folder, follow the steps outlined here (in step 7)

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil: Thanks for the quick reply.

Dropbox is, indeed, "up to date."

I had never heard of symlinks before, but when I chked for them using the instructions you provided, it turned out that I had a ton of them, and in every case they were associated with Cocoatech, the makers of Pathfinder. 

Image of symlinks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwduzbdasqttdqw/symlink%20image.png?dl=0

My question is, if I delete them, will it stip the color tags from the tagged files. I have hundreds of thousands of files in dozens and dozens of folders on Dropbox, and I have used Pathfinder to color tag some of them to help find them in a hurry.

Thanks so much for helping me with this!

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me on this and for the screenshot, @LeonJackson

Instead of deleting them, you could try removing them from your Dropbox folder by moving them to another location on your computer. 

However, regarding the matter on color tags, I’d recommend looking around the web or contacting the third party app in question for more info.

I understand that this may not be the ideal response you were looking for, but I do hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil:

Thanks for your ongoing help. I've now removed *all* the symlinks from Dropbox. It turns out they were all just from old versions of Pathfinder that I'd archived on Dropbox for some reason.

But now that I've removed all the symlinks, I am still experiencing the same problem, which is that when I select or viewed a color tagged Dropbox file through Pathfinder, it causes Dropbox to infinitely resync that file.

Pathfinder's help forum mods are completely uninterested in helping. Do you have any other suggestions for how I might fix this problem? Thanks so much!

Dropboxer
Hey again @LeonJackson, sorry to hear that you’re still experiencing this behavior. 

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to have a bit more in-depth look into this. When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Dropboxer

Hey there @LeonJackson  - were you able to resolve your concern in the end?

If you did, could you share what worked for you with the rest of our Community?

Thanks!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Pathfinder Causing Infinite Resync of Tagged Dropbox Files
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post