Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Permanently deleting shared files from a folder. Trouble with admin Console.

New member | Level 2

How do I permanently deleate shared files? It is says I can only permanently deleate the files from the Admin console. It only gives me the option to delete the team?

5 Replies

Re: Permanently deleting shared files from a folder. Trouble with admin Console.

Dropboxer
Hi there, @GooberGoober !

If you’re trying to delete a shared folder, you can check out this article for more info

However, could it be that you’re referring to team folders instead? 

Hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Permanently deleting shared files from a folder. Trouble with admin Console.

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thank you I really appreciate your reply. If I permanently delete them from the folder will they get an email notification about that? Is there any way to prevent them from getting an email noitfication? 

Thank you for your help.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @GooberGoober . 

In general, when you delete a shared folder, users shouldn’t get a notification on the website. If you’d like, you can also check out more info on what happens when you delete files here

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2
Hi Lusil,

Thank you again. Is there any way to immmediately deny access to these shared files? Can i lock other users out or shut down the dropbox account? Thank you.

Dropboxer
No worries, we are here to help after all. winking face

From the moment that you invite a user to a shared folder, a shared file, or send them a shared link, you give them access to the content in question. 

However, I wanted to clarify that, in case you don’t want members of a shared folder to be able to edit the content of your folder, you can give them view-only rights. In the case that this is in regards to a shared file or a shared link, users can only view and download the content.

Furthermore, if you’re under a Professional or a Business subscription, you have some additional capabilities when it comes to shared links, where you can:
  1. Add a password, so that anyone without it won’t be able to access it. 
  2. Set expiration dates, which means that users after a certain date can’t access it. 
  3. Disable downloads, so that users won’t be able to download the contents of a shared link. 
You can find more about these in this articleIf you’re not sure which plan your account is subscribed to, you can navigate to your Plan tab

Finally, if you want to remove users from a shared folder, you can see this Help Center article for more relevant steps on how to do so

I hope this helped to some extent! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Permanently deleting shared files from a folder. Trouble with admin Console.
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post