Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Permissions for files and deletion issues

Explorer | Level 3

We all use Mac here at our charity and have now been using dropbox for the past 2 weeks. We need to give permission to a certain person for one file and another permission for another file to another staff member.  Can we do this where the person with permission can edit doc and the main user has the update as well?

Also, I am concerned that they can delete the file I have given them permission to use and edit?

My boss and I are so confused. Please help

Tags (1)
1 Reply

Re: Permissions for files and deletion issues

Dropboxer
Hey @SaveMe67

All great questions & thanks for checking in with us on the Community for advice, I’d happily send you some hints that should get you going & you can adjust your course of action depending on your needs! 

We need to give permission to a certain person for one file and another permission for another file to another staff member. 
If you’ve stored both files within the same folder, you could share those with the first user granting them edit & comment access, whereas allow the second person to view only. 

Can we do this where the person with permission can edit doc and the main user has the update as well?
Sure thing, as edits should be reflected on all participants’ view- almost immediately. 

Also, I am concerned that they can delete the file I have given them permission to use and edit?

That’s right, as deletions are considered as edits, therefore you may need to take that into consideration when distributing permissions amongst your colleagues. Even so, all editors should be able to restore content if needed. 

I hope my hints are helpful! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Permissions for files and deletion issues
1 Reply
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post