cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo uploads on Android not working unless I open the app

Photo uploads on Android not working unless I open the app

Big_Al_71
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I have the photo uploader feature turned on on my Samsung Galaxy S7, which I believe works overall. Although I have noticed that if I need it to upload a photo that I have recently taken, I need to open up the app on my phone before it will upload. I took a photo this morning; 4 hours later it still hadn't uploaded by itself. Once I opened up the app, it uploaded immediately. Older photos have been uploaded eventually, although I don't know how long it took.

Any ideas on how to get this to happen immediately, without intervention?

Thanks! Al

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ok, so this appears to fix the issue. Turn off battery optimization for Dropbox.

There may be a more direct route, but here are the steps on my Pixel 3 with Pie"

Settings
->Apps and Notifications
->Dropbox
->Advanced
->Battery
->Battery Optimization
->All Apps
->Dropbox
->Don't optimize
->Done

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there Al!

Initially, could you please have a look at this Help Center article which proposes some suggestions on how to tackle issues with camera uploads? 

If you’re still having trouble with this, could you please send me a screenshot of the error that you’re seeing (omitting any personal info)? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Al, any luck with this?

It worked fine with my old phone, but now I have this problem with my Pixel 3. Pain in the ass. Opening the app doesn't do it for me. I have to open the Camera Uploads folder, then it immediately adds the photo and syncs.

Thanks, Joe

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, Joe. 

Did you by any chance check the article that I mention above? It may provide some ideas on how to resolve this. If not, could you please check your settings under your Camera Uploads on your mobile app, which could give us some further insight?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I've checked everything.

As others with the problem mention, once you open the app it will keep working properly for a while (I didn't need to open the folder this time).

I don't have Battery Saver on and no background restriction.

Adaptive Battery is on though and "Optimizing Battery" so I'll try changing that.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Take as much time as you need, @Joseph D.11:slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Joseph D.11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ok, so this appears to fix the issue. Turn off battery optimization for Dropbox.

There may be a more direct route, but here are the steps on my Pixel 3 with Pie"

Settings
->Apps and Notifications
->Dropbox
->Advanced
->Battery
->Battery Optimization
->All Apps
->Dropbox
->Don't optimize
->Done

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for letting me know what worked for you, @Joseph D.11, awesome work on the troubleshooting! :grinning:

If the issue persists or you have any other questions, just give me a shout. In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Kevin B.13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here on my OnePlus 6.
Dropbox app is excluded from battery management.
Only when you open the app, the upload starts.  After closing the app, it keeps working automatically for a few minutes. After that... it just stops working.  Untill you open the app again.
Already unistalled the application and re-installed again. Doesn't solve the issue.

Please advise.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @Kevin B.13

Have you tried some of the suggestions in this article?

If you’re still having trouble with this, could you please try toggling the camera uploads option on your mobile app off and then back on again? 

Could you also send me a screenshot of any error that you may be seeing (omitting personal info) so as to have a better understanding of what your concern?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    abbaroo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?