Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Photos were uploading from android mobile - then stopped in the middle!

New member | Level 2

I shot a number of photos over the last month and had my phone set to store them to my SD card since I have very limited space on internal storage. Everything seemed to go all right until today. Tried to upload all my photos to my Dropbox from my phone, and again all seemed well for the first 20 or so - then uploading stopped right in the middle of a picture. The file names transmitted all right, but I can't open them, something about can't read file header, unknown format, blah blah. Any idea? Thank you.

(I can't just copy files from the internal storage to my SD card, because Android no longer lets you do that.)

7 Replies

Re: Photos were uploading from android mobile - then stopped in the middle!

Dropboxer

Hey there @aspenbell2000 - sorry to hear about this.

At first, can you clarify if you're using our automatic camera uploads feature or if you were manually uploading the mentioned files using the (+) button from within our mobile app?

Moreover, can you forward me a screenshot of any errors you might be getting as this would help investigate the matter at hand further?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

OK, I was using the automatic upload feature on Dropbox for Android, latest version. Here are 2 screenshots.dropbox-errors-01.jpgFile names but no files or only partial files

dropbox-errors-02.jpgThis is what I get when I try to open a "broken" file

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarifications @aspenbell2000  - much appreciated.

As this screenshot looks like it was taken on a computer, can you please let me know your desktop app's exact status? Is it 'Up to date' or still syncing changes? Can you see those files on our website normally? 

More information

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

It says it is "up to date".

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response @aspenbell2000!

Now, just to get a better view of the matter at hand, can you let me know if those files are showing normally on our website at https://www.dropbox.com?

By the way, do you get the same error if you try to open those with another application other than IrfanView?

Walter

New member | Level 2

Nope, already tried it, ".jpg files are supported but something went wrong"

And yes, I tried opening them in Gimp, no dice.

Thank you for your patience helping me sort this out. I wonder if it was something to do with the phone's internet connection, but if so, why didn't it resume uploading when the phone reconnected?

Dropboxer

I guess there could be conflicts if your connection wasn't stable back then @aspenbell2000.

Do you happen to have those files in their original location? Do they preview normally from there? 

I'm only asking as these files seem to be corrupted in some way (as you're not able to preview them on our website too) so any additional information will be very helpful to pinpoint the culprit behind this.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Photos were uploading from android mobile - then stopped in the middle!
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post