Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Prevent other apps from downloading 'online only' files

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have a quick question for y'all. I recently got the Smart Sync feature so I started moving many files that were on an external drive to my dropbox folder to make them online only. It was doing alright until I opened the GoPro App that can browse through my files and I noticed that whenever I open an app other than the finder my files start downloading automaticaly even if I set them to be online-only. How do I make them REALLY online-only and keep them online unless I say otherwise?

Please notice I don't want to use selective sync since I work with multiple folders inside folders (I'm very organised with my files) so you can imagine this is driving me nuts. 

Thank you

6 Replies

Re: Prevent other apps from downloading 'online only' files

Super User II

Any application or service that attempts to interact with a file will cause Dropbox to download it and mark it as Local once again. This could happen due to an antivirus scan, backup process, an application attempting to show thumbnails, etc.

Anything that requests access to a file will cause Dropbox to download the file. This is by design and there is no way to prevent it.

Explorer | Level 3
Well its pretty useless then... I can't even browse? There's no way to stop the sync and I have to wait the files to download to make them online again? Whoa I'm surprised how useless it is then.

Super User II

You can browse the files without issue. Its is the application you are using is then interacting with the files that it downloads them. 

If using GoPro is downloading them then the GoPro apps are doing something to those files (altering meta data? trying to preview?).

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

Maybe but as well as photoshop, illustrator and other softwares... Is there any work around? That's very frustrating since I organise folders in hierarchy so if I'm browsing around my "top" folder then it will sync the whole thing, and it's a LOT. There should be away to prevent this from happening. I can't download all my files then make them online only. I don't have a 2TB local drive and even if I did it would be just dumb, it takes a lot of CPU, So I feel that there is really no use. Better to buy an external drive and hope your files don't get corrupted (happened twice before n that's why I subscribed to Dropbox).
I'm sure other people are having this issue too so I would like to know what they are doing to work this out. I tried pausing it and then changing files again to online only but it didn't work either, (not even mentioning the amount of time it takes every time I do this). I'm thinking to work with my sync paused and only activate when I need but then I have to stop everything else I'm doing to have it synced? Lol that's lame. Dropbox you frustrated your user. Now I know why you enabled this feature to plus plan users, probably everyone that upgraded regret the choice. 👎👎👎

Highlighted

Super User II

@caue 

I realise you are frustrated but there is no need to swear. Doing so can trigger spam filters which block/remove threads. 

Being honest you are the first person I've ever seen say they have issues with this. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

Well I'm sorry, don't mean to be rude but you can immagine how I felt after uploading almost 1TB of files and having them syncronized over and over again (they still are) because everytime I open any app it happesn again. Can't even use Microsoft Excel or Word to browse through my files. Same happens if I wanna save them. Gotta save them on an folder outside of dropbox and then cut + paste it inside. I was hoping to use dropbox as sort of my main drive and use smart sync to manage disk spacing. Don't know how you guys are able to use it

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Prevent other apps from downloading 'online only' files
6 Replies
0 Likes