cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prioritize folders / files to be downloaded

Prioritize folders / files to be downloaded

MasterOfDragon
Helpful | Level 5

It's great to have this sync files first option to back up important files first.

However, what about the other way round. A typical problem for me is, that I got on a trip after some weeks in office. While traveling I need to continue working on recent files, but syncing all files from the last weeks to my laptop takes ages. For sue, I can download the data manually from the website, but then I'm having the same problems as I had before there cloud storage services (multiple different versions of the same file, copying back and forth files between diferent computer, changing my folder structure across multiple inked files etc. ).

Having the option to click "sync first" to folders (or files online) so that these folders get prioritized for up- and download sync would be great.

7 Replies 7

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @MasterOfDragon!

With Dropbox you can prioritize the files you want to sync first!

Please find the steps here. 

Get back to us with feedback for this relatively new syncing feature. :grin:

Also check how you can speed your Dropbox up! 

Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

gavin3
Helpful | Level 5

I'd like to second this motion of adding the ability to prioritize syncing of folders specifically! It would make it much easier to work as a team, in my opinion. I do waste a lot of time waiting for folders to sync when I could prioritize the most important ones. 

gavin3
Helpful | Level 5

I've seen this request before, but on the post I saw, it didn't look like the actual request got addressed. I'd just like to reiterate my desire for there to be a "Sync Now" feature for folders. You can do so with individual files, but it becomes problematic when the file you need to see has not been synced onto your Dropbox in the first place. Having the ability to prioritize the synchronization of individual folders would help streamline this process, in my opinion. Having just spoken to a few colleagues and friends, I think this feature would be widely appreciated throughout the community. 

oxotero10
Helpful | Level 5

I'd also love to see this feature!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hello @gavin3 - welcome aboard and thanks for using Dropbox!

It's true indeed that, at the moment, you can’t prioritize folders or package files. I won't be able to comment on when or if this might get implemented ; feel free to share your thoughts and ideas about this under the relevant section of our Community though; the 'Share an Idea' that is. 

Thank you for your feedback on this and please let me know if you have any questions Gavin; I'd be happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

impr
Explorer | Level 4

I'd also love to see this feature!

TeslaLover
Helpful | Level 5

"Sync Now" is currently only an option for individual files. I have TBs of files in my Dropbox. I know it's a lot to sync & I didn't want Dropbox to have to download them all onto my new computer. So when I transferred computers, I copied most of the folders onto my new hard drive. The issue as I've found is that Dropbox performance isn't optimized for this many files. So my Dropbox stopped synching. It's stuck at 10k+ files, unless I add new files or click "Sync Now" on individual files. Most of the files are already on my computer. But Dropbox doesn't recognize this unless I click "Sync Now," in which case it can instantly recognize those files which are already in the cloud as well.

Most of the 10k+ files Dropbox has stuck in the syncing process are filed Dropbox thinks it needs to download. However, the vast majority are already on my computer & Dropbox recognizes them when I click "Sync Now." The issue is I need the option for folders & multiple files. This would save me from having to manually click "sync now" for 10k+ files individually simply because of a performance issue within Dropbox. I pay a premium for 3TB & expect premium service. I need my files backed up & the current "Sync Now" option limited to individual files is inadequate for my needs. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TeslaLover Helpful | Level 5
    impr Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    oxotero10 Helpful | Level 5
    gavin3 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?