Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Problem Replacing Dropbox File

Level 3

I have posted a Word document to Dropbox and shared the link. I constantly update the document.  Each time I do this, I "send" the updated file to Dropbox. When I do, I get a message that the same-name file is already on Dropbox and I am asked whether I want to, e.g., replace that file with the one I am sending. I answer this question yes. I see a progress graph showing that the file I am sending is replacing the existing Dropbox file. BUT it isn't replacing it. How do I get it to replace it?  I have search Dropbox to see if I have a duplicate file somewhere else on Dropbox that is getting replaced, but I cannot find one.

I recognize that my manual file syncing is something I could set up Dropbox to do automatically.  once I get the manual sycing working, how do I make it automatic?

6 Replies

Re: Problem Replacing Dropbox File

Super User

Hello

We usually recommend using the Desktop Client to automatically update changes.  When you modify the file, it will sense its changed and automatically uploads it.  As long as the file resides within your Dropbox folder and Dropbox Client is running, it will update it.  Now there may be a reason why one is using the web interface (Browser) to upload and that is not really an automated procedure.  Because you would have to upload it again.

How are you determining that the modification is not being synced?  is by seeing it on the browser?  Please list your procedure to upload the file

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 3

Thank you, Chris, for your prompt answer.  You asked or suggested three things.

The first question was how do I know the Dropbox file is not being updated.  I know because it does not contain the changes I made to the file on my local computer.  The Dropbox says the file was modified today, but it wasn't.

The second question was how I was modifying the Dropbox file.  I highlight the file on my local computer.  I right click on the mouse.  I choose "send to" from the menu that drops down.  I then click on "Dropbox" on the "send to" dropdown menu.  that lauches a screen that says a file with the same name is already on Dropbox.  I am given three options:  Replace the Dropbox version with the local (updated) version, compare the two versions, or repalce the local version with the Dropbox version.  I choose the first option.  I then see a progress graph that says the Dropbox ersion is being replaced.  However, it isn't replaced.  That's my problem. 

3.  You suggested using the Desktop Client to accomplish the updating automatically.  I looked but couldn't find it.  Where is it?

Super User

Thanks for sharing and answering my questions.  You are certainly doing it the 'hard' way, there's a so simple solution that it set it and forget it.  That is to install an app that runs in the background.  When it is installed, as long as the file is inside the Dropbox folder, just modify the file and save it, it will automatically sync to the cloud.  What you are doing is essentially what the app does.  IT does it for you.  Now, as to why it's not syncing the changes in the first place, I don't know but I recommend downloading the app.

1. go to https://www.dropbox.com/install  and click on the download button
  2. double-click the installer
  3. it will ask you for login info (email address and password)
  4. make sure it is location is set to where your Dropbox folder if you have one, if not, let the client create one.

You will see a Dropbox icon in your System Tray (Windows) or Menu bar (Mac).  Place all your files inside the Dropbox Folder.  You can access the folder by clicking on the icon then click on 'Folder' icon.  This will open up finder or window explorer window and there is your files.  Place those excel files inside there, you can create as many folders you like as long it is inside the Dropbox folder.  Leave your files there but when you click on an excel file, modify it and save it.  You will then notice the Dropbox icon, has a blue badge indicating its uploading.

To see those changes, you can right-click your file, and select 'view on Dropbox.com and then your browser will show the web interface and you will see your file there and click on it and it should show the changes.

Let me know how I can help you with any questions you have.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Super User

https://www.dropbox.com/help/getting-started-building-blocks

Level 3

I followed your instructions, but afyer the installer ran, it never gave me an opportunity to log in.  It just said I had successfully updated Dropbox to the latest version.

I then tried somethjng different.  I created a word file called "test" and "sent" it to Dropbox.  It never arrived. So I re-sent it.  This time, Dropbox said it already had a "test" file and asked if I wanted to replace it.  I said yes.  It replaced the file, but Istill couldn't find it on Dropbox.  I am mystified, unlees there is a hidden files section on Drobox.

Super User

It sounds like you already have the Desktop Client installed and even perhaps even running.  Is there a Dropbox icon in your System Try (Win) or Menu Bar (Mac)?

Are you using Windows? or Mac?

Where is this file saved to?  When you created the Test file, where was it saved to?   It sounds like you saved it on your Desktop and then you right-clicked the file and selected 'save to Dropbox'.

The default location of your Dropbox folder which is a literal folder residing on your Hard Drive.  Its usually found in your user folder.   ex:  c://users/Bacalao/Dropbox  or Macintosh HD/users/Bacalao/Folder

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Problem Replacing Dropbox File
6 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution