Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files

Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

We recently noticed that the icons that are used to show the application associations of the files are missing if the file is housed in the cloud and only appear if the file is local.  Is there a way to allow viewing the application icons while the file is cloud only?

Thanks much

21 Replies

Re: Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files

Dropboxer
Hey there @jbroderick,

Can you let me know what OS version your computer is using? Also, can you let me know the current sync status and the version of the desktop app you’re running?

Also from what you mentioned, you see the same issue for all file types, is that right?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne

Thanks for the prompt response.

My computer has the following stats, per your request:

Dropbox v76.4.126
Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.615
Current Sync Status: Up To Date

However, this is not just limited to my computer, this is happening on my colleagues PC as well.  I would venture to say that this is happening companywide.

To answer your final question, this is happening to all file types.  The file icon is a blank piece of paper until you download the file from the cloud, then the association icon appears... but not before.

Thanks again for your help!

Dropboxer
Hey @jbroderick, thanks for all that info!

Can I ask you to try the following on one of the devices for me:

1. Navigate to a random file within your Dropbox folder.
  2. Right click the file and choose “Properties”.
  3. Choose a default application to open the file with.

If you still see no difference, can you then please try this instead:

1. Open the Start menu and click the Settings gear icon to the left.
  2. Go to “System” and then “Default apps”.
  3. Apply (or reapply) a default app to open certain file types.

After doing so, can you please refresh your File Explorer window and see if you still see the blank paper icon for an online only file?

Let me know what you find - Thanks! 

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne

Right clicking on cloud based files and opening properties immediately downloads the file locally, which then shows the file association icon... But, I don't want to have to house all of these files locally (nor should I have to) in order to see their file association icon.

All of these files already have an application associated with their files, and it's reflected correctly when the file is local.  It's only when the file is located in the cloud only that the issue occurs.

Dropboxer

Can you just let me know if you have these applications set as the defaults for opening certain file types within your system settings as I mentioned previously?

If they have the default app set to the correct programs then would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile?

Otherwise, if you already have a ticket open with our Support team, please feel free to let me know the ticket reference number so that I can follow up there.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne,

Yes. These applications are set as the defaults for the files (such as XLS/XLSX is set for Excel, DOC/DOCX is set for Word).

Please feel free to email me at the email address associated with my profile.

I currently do not have a ticket already open, but I wouldn't mind if one is open for me.

Dropboxer
Thanks for confirming that for me @jbroderick!

I’ve reached out to your email address, please just check your inbox when you have the time and we can continue from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

Explorer | Level 3

Did your issue ever get resolved? If so can you share it here? I am having the same issue and can not find a solution anywhere.

Thank you,

Brian

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @bwagner,

While we wait to hear back from @jbroderick about any updates, can you let me know if refreshing the File Explorer (by restarting your device) helps with the issue at all? 

Also, can you let me know if you've tried out the steps mentioned previously to see if this helps with the issue or let me know any of the extra info requested?

I'll be looking forward to your reply - Thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files
21 Replies
1 Like