Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Re: Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi all,

I don't use 'Smart Sync' and haven't such issue, but if I have to bet, the name of the problem is "magic number". winking face I.e. the system need small part of the file (containing this magic number) to be able to assign (approve the assignment) particular file type. If this process don't complete successfully then the file is count as a generic type (usually untyped binary or flat text file) and displayed as a such. "Magic number" is byte pattern letting system to confirm that the file content match the extension. Very often this is just first 4 bytes from the file, but (depending on observed file type) could be more complicated. If Dropbox application is able to download only the requested file part (for every one read operation) and cach it, no the entire file, then the process will be faster (client application can reach the requested content faster) and disscused issue will dissapear. This idea is not something new but seems ignored from Dropbox.

Let's hope someday this will change. winking face

Explorer | Level 3

No restarting the laptop does not fix the issue.

Yes the default programs are all setup correctly.

We have also uninstalled the Dropbox Desktop program from the computer and resinstalled it and the icons for any files in the cloud only. Do not show the associated program icon like it does if the file is stored locally.

Thank you,

Brian

Dropboxer

Hey @bwagner,

Thanks for that info! Would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this a little further?

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2
Daphne,

I’m having this same issue. I recently purchased s Lenovo with Windows 10. Files are showing a blank file icon until I open the file.
This is not happening on my other Lenovo laptop where I am also selectively syncing some files and not others.
My default apps are correct and I already uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox app.
Can you assist?
Thank you,

Alex

Dropboxer

Hey @Alxtg27,

I've reached out to your email associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this in some more detail. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

If you manage to figure out the solution to this issue. Please post it here so that other people can use it to fix theirs as well.

Thank you,

Brian

Explorer | Level 4

Sorry about the delay in responding, I've been away from my computer for a few days.

This seems to be a known issue by the development team w/ no ETA on when it will be fixed.

Per a ticket that I had opened a few weeks ago:

"The issue you reported is something our development team is currently aware of and investigating further. The issue appears to be related to an interaction between the Smart Sync feature and OS file explorer behaviour as we attempt to sync previews of the files. We do appreciate your feedback and context on how this affects your particular use-case as we are always working on ways to improve the Dropbox application and its features.

We do not have a current timeline I can provide on improvements to this behaviour. I would recommend ensuring that you are consistently updating to the latest Dropbox version available to take advantage of any performance improvements as they are made available."

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the response. It is nice to have some information even if it isn't good news.

Brian

Explorer | Level 3

I have same problem and only on files in Dropbox.  Files in OneDrive or locally, show the application icon.

Dropboxer

Hey there @sallyws19,

Did you by any chance see this update on the matter by another user? If you'd like us to look further into this together, would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile? We'll be able to look into some account specifics from there.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files
21 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey