cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re: Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files

Explorer | Level 4
Sure..I've been using Dropbox for years. Just got a new laptop and this happened. I also just reinstalled it too.
As soon as I touch (not open) a file, the application icon displays. Thank you

Dropboxer

Thanks for that info @sallyws19!

I've reached out to your email address, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I'm experiencing this exact issue, too.  Is there a fix for it yet?

New member | Level 2

@Daphne, can you reach out to me directly?  I'd love some help with this issue.  Thanks!

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @Jgalner!

Just before I do, can you just let me know a little more info such as:

• What version of the desktop app is installed?
  • What OS version is your device running?
  • Do the files show with the correct program icon when made Local?

Let me know and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick response @Daphne!

Dropbox app version: 86.4.146

OS:  Windows 10, version 1909.  OS build 18363.476    **However, this issue is present on the rest of the machines in my company, most likely across different builds.  All Windows machines, though.

Yes, icons work when file is made local.  File works just fine when it's online-only, opens properly with the correct program, etc - just the file icon remains blank.  Tried the troubleshooting steps outlined earlier in this post...no luck.  Would LOVE a fix for this.  I'm trying to deploy Dropbox to the rest of my company, to use in place of our current Windows server, but I know this blank icon thing is gonna be a huge headache.  Thanks!

Dropboxer

Thanks for all the info @Jgalner!

I was able to locate your open ticket with a member of my team in our Support channel, so I've passed along your comments here to them. They'll continue to look into this with you there.

In the meantime, I could suggest using the New Desktop App interface to work around this. You can change the default for opening your files from the File Explorer here.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

So it sounds like there's no available fix for the blank file icons, huh?

Regarding the desktop app, some files show me the file type icon (i.e. the Word icon for a .docx file), and some files show me a preview of the file contents.  For all intents and purposes, that file preview looks like a blank square, so it's not helpful.  What setting controls whether the preview is shown or if the file type is shown? Often when I open a folder, the files will show the file type icon and then change to a preview of the file contents.

And using the desktop app is not a workaround for this missing file type icon thing, unless I'm missing something.  There are plenty of reasons why I and the rest of my company would need to use Windows Explorer in the course of our daily work (for example, accessing folders on our PC that are not in Dropbox).  I'm just a bit confused by your suggestion.

Thanks!

Smart Sync Icons

New member | Level 2

Hi,

Is there a way i can get the icons back for online only files as below?

image.png

Some of our users are struggling to find what extension of files they are working on? this is a poor example but for other files we have the same file names but different extensions on the end, when synced localled the icons come back

thanks 

sean

Re: Smart Sync Icons

Dropboxer

Hey @SeanMyers, thanks for checking with us!

I'd be more than happy to help, but I'll just need a bit more info on this, such as:

• What do you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?
  • Does this happen to every file that's online-only?

Keep me posted! slightly smiling face

PS. I moved your post to this thread, where other users have reported a similar behavior. 

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Program File Icons Missing on Cloud Files
34 Replies
3 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post