Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

RE - Incredibly slow indexing

Explorer | Level 3

Hello All:

I recently moved around a whole bunch of folders with several million files on my dropbox. It is now saying it is Indexing 2,400,000 or so files and indexing 104,000. It's moving at a snail's pace but I haven't actually added much information. I just changed the file structures, moved old folder into new ones and deleted some original folders? 

Would it help to do this one folder at a time with selective syncing? 

Or not? 

Help????

Jono

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: RE - Incredibly slow indexing

Dropboxer

Hello Jono - welcome to our Community!

When you re-arrange your files and folders within your Dropbox folder, our desktop app needs some time to sync these changes and re-index your database (as you're practically changing your files' paths) so I'd suggest giving it some time. Especially since we're talking about such a large amount of files that is. 

Note that you can speed it up by changing your bandwidth accoring to your needs.

If it doesn't get past the message you mentioned in a while, please send me a screenshot of its exact status so I can have a better look into ths. 

Keep me posted @Loweyluvz

PS: Your last suggestion is actualy spot on too as using selective sync would help lessen the file load our app is trying to process. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Walter - thanks for your respnse. It seems to me that it's locking up and not moving much when I sync it all at once - however - I've consolidated folders at this time so I'm nervous that it won't recognize and consolidatee them if I do it selectively. 

I left and it was at 2,504,266 and it's still there - 3 hours later....Any suggestions? 

Does this make sense? 

Thanks.

Jon

Dropboxer

I'm sorry for the late respone Jon; is it still stuck on the same number of files?

If it is indeed, I'll need to look into your device's logs, so please let me know if you'd like me to reach out via the email address that's connected to your Community's profile to work on this together. 

Thanks so much for your cooperation!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

RE - Incredibly slow indexing
3 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post