Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re-syncing/indexing...for hours...and hours

Explorer | Level 4

Hello. Yesterday for some reason my desktop Dropbox (Windows 10) decided to re-index and re-sync all my files; I'm using only 2% of my 1TB but this is still a lot. I decided to keep the computer on until finished. It's been almost 12hrs now, however, and is still going, partly because it seems like it keeps stalling out. It'll reach a certain number of files to index/sync and just...stop. Stuck on that number.

I've already closed and reopened the program twice. The first time, it did a few more files, then stalled again. After the second restart, no progress, still stuck on the same number of files as before. My Internet connection shows that no data is being uploaded or downloaded. It's literally doing nothing. Says it's syncing and indexing, but is not. (Pausing the sync and unpausing it just makes it worse, then it merely gets stuck on "Indexing," with no number of files.)

I'm getting really frustrated. It didn't take this long even when I originally uploaded the files. I have the Dropbox app on my tablet too but I dare not open it since I made a change to a file in it the previous night (which hasn't saved to the desktop yet because of this issue), and I'd saved a few webpages on the desktop program when I thought it would eventually be finished. I don't want to cause conflicts or make my tablet freak out if it decides to redo everything too, so at the moment, Dropbox is effectively useless to me.

What's more, the desktop program is severely bogging down my laptop, even though it says no data is being transferred!

EDIT, even though the number of files being synced/indexed hasn't changed, it does look like a few more files have turned green. But I still see no data usage in between me restarting the program repeatedly. I don't even know what caused all this in the first place. My computer was strangely slow to start up and my antivirus kept closing and restarting, but Dropbox couldn't have had anything to do with that since it's not set to load at startup. I did try opening it while I was having those issues, though--could that have caused this?

What exactly is going on? Doing what I'm doing seems to be taking incredibly long and is making my computer nearly unusable, as well as Dropbox itself. How do I get it to finish and return to normal?

EDIT, restarting the program a third time... :( Again, a few more files have been done, but the progress numbers haven't changed, and I see no data transfer. I wish I could at least see some progress without restarting; I can't even tell that any files have turned green until I close/restart. (Refreshing the window worked at first, but not anymore.)

(Edit, I'm up to date, version 55.4.171.)

15 Replies

Re: Re-syncing/indexing...for hours...and hours

Explorer | Level 4
A few hours and restarts later I'm still at it, though now I notice if I just sit and lose track of it, it will eventually green-check a batch of files and the number will change...it's just...v-e-r-r-r-y slow.

Will leave the computer on overnight and hope it's at least mostly done by the time I get up, since at this rate I'm pretty sure it won't be completely done. :/
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there Rachel ( @Rachel L.) - are you still having this issue? 

Can you try changing your bandwidth settings to see if the performance is improved at all? 

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter, after leaving it on all night it finally finished syncing/indexing everything an hour or so ago. I'll try to see what my bandwidth limit is set at when I turn the computer back on. (I've never meddled with the settings so it's probably on the default.) We have Spectrum cable Internet (WiFi) and unlimited data, I believe.

Notification from Windows: "You have changed 11,199 files." :/ The thing is, I had changed only one text file before this started (on my tablet), and had saved only a few webpages and screencaps during the event (on my laptop). Before turning off the computer I saw that at least some of my files (I think there are actually more than 11,199) were showing as being "recently added" to Dropbox just today even though they've been there for months, so it's like it reuploaded some in addition to syncing/indexing.

I forgot to check them on the laptop before I turned it off but I've checked the website versions of the edited text file and webpages/screencaps and they look to be in order. I haven't opened the Android app yet, though; that number of "changed files" daunts me. Is it safe?

Is there any explanation for what caused this or a way to avoid it happening in the future? Thanks.

Dropboxer

I'd hate to speculate about this Rachel ( @Rachel L.) - you can start by taking a look at your Events page as additions, deletions and edits are logged there.

Hope this points you to the right direction and let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Events page

Hm, all I'm seeing there are the text file I edited, and the webpage and screencaps I saved. (The only items I actually edited/changed in this time period.)

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know about this Rachel - how are you today?

Could you please take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. Do you see this message ( or another one perhaps) ?

If it's up to date you should be fully synced and ready to go @Rachel L.

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

hi,

Dropbox (Windows 10)  re-index and re-sync all my files but without end of job.

never occurs with withows 7.

generally occurs after an update of dropbox version.

i tried uninstall/reinstall dropbox on my computer.

without good result.

i sent a video to the support as requested without solution.

it takes me several months for a dialog with support team.

without result.

i need to dissociate/reassociate my computer.

with up to 100.000 files to resynchronize.

it is a little bit long.

but it runs and the dropbox icon says up to date.

have you an explanation of this.

many thanks in advance

Super User II
Hey gersim24

You mention it usually happens upon update of the software, out of interest are you running a 'standard' install? So one with Dropbox on internal drives and no junctions etc.?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

yes it is a standard install; internal drives; any physical junctions.

when i say after an update it concerns dropbox not windows.

in addition, this morning, i just modify a param in my settings: language french to english.

it's simple no?

the result was indexing and syncing again without ending.

it was like a bug in my head!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Re-syncing/indexing...for hours...and hours
15 Replies
0 Likes