cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Re-syncing problem - deleting from local folder results in repeat downloads

New member | Level 2

I wonder if anyone can advise please?

Is it possible to instruct Dropbox to "Sync with local folder" and not "to local foder"?

In order  to free up some space I deleted/moved a lot of clutter from my local Dropbox folder. When I  re-established 'sync' it decided to download all the rubbish I have just spent a long time sifting through. Arrgh!

Sync was disabled during this long process due to no internet connection.

Many thanks for reading this!

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Re-syncing problem - deleting from local folder results in repeat downloads

Dropboxer

Hey @NigelT. Thanks for joining.  

The Dropbox desktop application is syncing all your files locally to your computer. Instead of manually deleting your Dropbox files, I can help you set Dropbox to do this for you.

Use Selective Sync! winking face

Feel free to ask more questions. Happy Friday! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Fiona,

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't help.   I am aware of Selective Sync but it doesn't solve the problem - in fact it is the opposite to what I need to achieve.

I am deleting files from my local folder and I need to get Dropbox to realise this and remove them from it's servers too when it resyncs.  I don't want to leave them on Dropbox and I certainly don't want to disconnect local folders in any way.

I need to "synchronise Dropbox with my local folder" not "synchonise my local folder with Dropbox".  Is there a facility to instruct Dropbox which direction to synchonise after reconnection?

Dropboxer

Dropbox syncs with the folder and the folder syncs with Dropbox. Syncing goes both ways for everything to be synchronized. 

There are few reasons files can re-appear after you delete them. In the case you are describing, probably the app does not realize you wish to delete them, because you pause syncing before you remove the files and Dropbox scans that something is missing when you resume syncing and resyncs them. 

You can try the following: 

1. Delete them from Dropbox.com instead. If they are not in the cloud, they cannot resync. upside-down face
  2. Don't pause syncing, just delete them while the desktop app is running. 

Let me know which solution worked for you. Thanks! 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Deleted local folders still being present online

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, I use Dropbox free on my PC (as being the machine I do all my work so Dropbox is very important here) and also I have linked other 2 devices (my two phones).

Yesterday I have deleted two folders from Dropbox folder on my PC. I wanted to do that.

Today I noticed the 2 „deleted” folders are in the same spot when accesing Dropbox from your website. Why are they still there?

Re: Deleted local folders still being present online

Dropboxer

Hello @ovisergiu. Welcome to our Community! nerd face

I moved your post here cause I answered this same question in this thread. 

If you delete the folders from the Dropbox website and you don't see this process syncing on your Dropbox desktop application, let me know. 

Thanks. Cheers! 

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Re-syncing problem - deleting from local folder results in repeat downloads
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post