Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Recovering permanently deleted files via cache

New member | Level 2

Hello. Last night I permanently deleted a shared folder called /Obscured Vision/ from my Dropbox account. I've seen from various chatboards that it's not possible to restore these files on dropbox.com. However, I did find many of the files on my Mac when I went to this folder: ~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache. But some of the files were labeled "metadata" with file names I don't recognize (perhaps corresponding to a variety of files from the program Logic that I don't see in that cache folder). Do you know how I can restore the original data structure to regain the Logic files? Or perhaps it might be able to restore the whole folder exactly as it was?

Thank you so much,

ari

1 Reply

Re: Recovering permanently deleted files via cache

Dropboxer

Hey there @ari1800

Thanks for reaching out!

When you permanently delete files, I'm afraid there's not much we can suggest to recover them. 

However, you can have a look at this thread where users previously discussed a similar scenario. 

Additionally, since you mention that this was a shared folder, maybe members that had access to it have kept a copy. Try reaching out to them - they may have some further info. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Recovering permanently deleted files via cache
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post