cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove X from your Dropbox account?

Remove X from your Dropbox account?

Diego5
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello, recently I have been receiving warnings that say "Remove X from your Dropbox account and all devices?

If you move this folder to X it won’t be available in Dropbox or on any devices."

X are names of folder I’m simply moving in my computer, but not deleting in anyway, nor from Dropbox nor from my computer.

At the bottom of the message, it says "cancel" or "move out of dropbox".

What is all that and why it started appearing to me?

BEST
drop.JPG

13 Replies 13

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @Diego5,

The message that you’re seeing is due to you moving the files/folders from within your Dropbox folder to another location outside of this folder on your computer.

As Dropbox is a syncing service, it will sync changes across all your connected devices and your account on the web. This means that any changes you make in the Dropbox folder on your computer will reflect in your account. Moving files out of the Dropbox folder is seen as “deleting” them from that folder (and then “adding” them to the new location on your device).

While you are moving the folder to another location on your computer, the message is just notifying you that the folder will be removed from your Dropbox account.

I hope that helps to clarify the matter, but do let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Diego5
Collaborator | Level 8

I don’t think I get it. I have always moved files from folders to folder and never had this warning. Even now, I move many files at once, and the message only appears for two or three files.

If I am moving a file, I understand it can be seen as a deletion, but the error message is misleading, then. It seems that I am deleting the file at all and will never have access to it.

And, finally, I’m not moving outside of dropbox at all, I’m just chaning folders, and both are inside Dropbox. So having to click "move out of dropbox" is, again, very misleading - because this isn’t what is happening.

Well, if I click "don’t ask me this again" am I safe that I won’t lose any files when I move them as I always did?

BEST

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Diego5,

May be one clarification can help. Are You using 'Selective Sync...' and if so, are the movement directed inside such a place?

Hope this gives some 'hooks'! :wink:

Diego5
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello, Zdravko.

No, I’m not using selective sync.

BEST

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Diego5,

I’d suggest that you can go ahead with clicking “don’t ask me again”. Since moving files in this way is an action taken by your computer itself, you shouldn't see files being deleted from your local computer by this action.

The message is just supposed to clarify for the user that moving files outside of the Dropbox folder will result in it being removed from their Dropbox account. I understand the confusion caused by this message and I’ve passed this along to our dev team for review in future improvements.

Hope this helps to clarify the matter a little - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

huhi2305
New member | Level 2

nice

TikiJanie
Explorer | Level 4

I too am getting the same message, however when I select Dont ask me again it has not worked.  I consistently and radomly receive the message in all three of my company files.

It is very frustrating as I fear I may hit the wrong button and lose data.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@TikiJanie wrote:

...  I consistently and radomly receive the message in all three of my company files.

Hi @TikiJanie,

What you mean "all three of my company files"? Does it happen only on particular file types and/or such managed with same/similar applications, but not on other file types/applications? Is it happening only during particular activity while you are working with your files (at save moment of changes, for example)?

Hope your clarifications can give better context.

bluefish
New member | Level 2

Checking in.  Is this issue still happening for you?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jkenn New member | Level 2
    jhondesoza Explorer | Level 3
    TikiJanie Explorer | Level 4
    bluefish New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?