cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Access to a shared folder

Removing Access to a shared folder

Dottie T.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a large folder that is shared with roughly 35 people, but I am the owner and everyone else can only view.  There are approximately 40 subfolders, also shared, and I am the owner of all and members can only view.

I need to remove access (for viewing) for specific people in the subfolders.  How do I do that?  All the answers I see don't address this specifically.

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Dottie T.2, Once you have shared a parent folder with someone, you won't be able to control the sharing settings for the subfolders seperately. The subfolders inherit the same sharing permissions as the original share folder. You have to create seperate share folders, and share with different set of people. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Dottie T.2, Once you have shared a parent folder with someone, you won't be able to control the sharing settings for the subfolders seperately. The subfolders inherit the same sharing permissions as the original share folder. You have to create seperate share folders, and share with different set of people. 

Dottie T.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so very much  - I was beginning to suspect that was the case.

Have a great weekend!

hrhodin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Elixir, so how can I remove the sharing of a parent folder. I don´t want to share it with anyone but I cannot even recognize who it is shared with. Thank you, kind regards, Heléne

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @hrhodin!

Initially, please bear in mind that you can see if a shared folder is shared by the two little people that the folder will have at the front. 

You can then check who the shared folder is shared with and who has edit or view-only privileges by:
  1. Sign in to dropbox.com. 
  2. Click on the Files tab. 
  3. Locate the shared folder/file in question. 
  4. By hovering over it you will see the Share option appear - click on it. 
  5. A pop up window will appear. You should be able to see the users who have access to this shared folder, as well as if they have can edit or can view permissions
If you don’t want the shared folder to be shared anymore, check this article out for more info. 

Hope this helped! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AdamGalant
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It would be extremely useful for me if I could setup different access rights for the selected subfolders of a single shared (parent) folder. For example, a parent folder “ProjectXXX” could have subfolders “Requirements”, “Components Data” and “Work”, where only the Work subfolder would be editable. This would help organize everything nicely and prevent incidental corruption of the subfolders Requirements and Component Data.
Dear Dropbox Team, please consider adding such a feature, if possible.
Regards

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AdamGalant, thanks for posting here! 

Your comments on this have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    AdamGalant New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    hrhodin New member | Level 2
    Dottie T.2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?