cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing members from a shared folder

Removing members from a shared folder

Charadras
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox Help states: 

To remove a member from a shared folder on dropbox.com:

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Navigate to or search for the shared folder you're interested in.
  4. Hover over the folder and click Share.
  5. Click the dropdown menu next to the member you want to remove.
  6. Click Remove.
  7. Choose if you want to leave the member a copy of the shared folder.
  8. Click Remove.

Unfortunately, this all rubbish. Hovering over the folder and clicking produces nothing but the standard "Back/Forward/Reload" mini-menu. Completely counter-intuitively, the "Share" drop menus offer nothing but the options to Invite and "Add to Trello", whateverthat might be. Opening the folder gives you no better options. Clicking on the symbol for a member also does not give you the option to remove.

This is why I hate computer software and the people who supposedly write the help pages. Is there in fact any way of removing a member, no matter how carefully hidden? Any assistance from a rational human being gratefully received!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Charadras, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

It sounds like you're clicking on the little arrow next to the Share button which gives you some additional options, such as to Add to Trello.

Could you try clicking on top of the button that reads Share and then follow the instructions outlined in the article you mention? 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Charadras, thanks for reaching out to us about this!

It sounds like you're clicking on the little arrow next to the Share button which gives you some additional options, such as to Add to Trello.

Could you try clicking on top of the button that reads Share and then follow the instructions outlined in the article you mention? 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Charadras
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply, Lusil. You are correct that clicking on the name rather than on the drop menu arrow will work! I would add that it is definitely counter-intuitive, since when you see an arrow, you tend to assume that it should be clicked! Anyway, many thanks.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Anytime, @Charadras! If anything else come up in the future, we're just a post away. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dp70
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The procedure for unsharing a folder that i have shared with someone is unnecessarily convoluted. I SHOULD be able to simply remove the person that i shared it with. 

The fact that i have to go into the settings, and find a button to unshare (if i can even figure out to look there) is counterintuitive 

Perhaps keeping it as a shared folder should be an option, but that should be the more complicated option for what i assume is the minority of people who  want to remove the person that they've shared the folder with, but nonetheless want it to remain a shared folder. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dp70, thanks for posting this on the forum!

Actually, you should be able to remove a specific member from a shared folder, without unsharing the folder altogether. 

You can do this by following the steps outlined in this Help Center article

If you need further help though, let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dp70 Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Charadras New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?