cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Replacing a file with a newer version

New member | Level 2

I'm stuck. I have a PDF that has an associated TinyURL link to it to clients. I need to update the PDF. I thought if I named the newer version to the existing one in my drop box that it would simply replace the file in my box however it didn't.

Since you can't remove the TINYURL I need someway to update the existing PDF to the new version (while retaining the shared link).

I've searched the forums but still am having no luck.

Help!

Thanks slightly smiling face

3 Replies

Re: Replacing a file with a newer version

Dropboxer

Hi @LoriMo - thanks for using Dropbox!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to access the shared link (correct me if I got this bit wrong) from the PDF file you mentioned?

Can you also let me know on what device you're working on and the steps you take to do this so I can repro on my end? 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter!

Annnnnnnnd I'm a total idiot. Even after putting my glasses on (and taking them off 3 times) I realized that I typo'd the name. Instead of Kitchen, I put "Ktichen" so that's why it created 2 files.  Once I remove the wrong one, changed the name and re-drug the corrected name one in, it updated the existing file and the TINYURL isn't broken either.

Thank you so much for your fast response to help! 

Happy Holidays!

Dropboxer

Thank you for your prompt reply Lori; I'm glad to hear you've worked this out in the end nerd face

Happy Holidays too gift

On a closing note, if you ever come up with a Dropbox question; you know where to find us. We're always happy to help!

Cheers Champange

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Replacing a file with a newer version
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post