Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Restored files have wrong creation and modification date

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, this problem has been occurring for me as well. When I restore an older version of a file, the timestamp is updated to the time of restoration rather than the timestamp of the older version. This only recently started happening - within the last few weeks or so. It's a bit confusing as it becomes hard to tell if the restoration occurred or not. Can you please provide an explanation to me?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

The solution" is Jane's post telling me it will be followed up by email? That is not a solution. And I cannot see who marked it as a solution, but they do not seem very super to me. I disagree at any rate. In fact the issue was never resolved. I was also not happy having to deal with the issue by email rather than on the public forum. Eventually I was told that it is expected behaviour.  I never recived a reply on my observation that it seems recent. I am 99.9% sure the countless times I have restored files in the past have never resulted in the dates being changed by Dropbox. 

Dropboxer
Hey there (@grayboywilliams), the feedback I received on this behavior from the relevant specialized team is that the restored timestamps are reflected on our desktop application by design. While I've made sure to make them aware of your concern & additional thoughts on this, kindly note that this is how the restoration functionality should work. 

From there (@Front D.2), I’ve made sure to remove the Solved tag of the conversation. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Still ignoring my question… is this is a recent change. Who would find this behaviour acceptable at any rate? Restoration of a backup is corrupt if anything of the original is changed. Dropbox is corrupting the restored file by changing the time stamp. I'll just keep banging my head aginst this wall as it is really a fun thing to do.

Helpful | Level 5

I'm so glad someone else has noticed this change and agrees that it is terrible.  I first noticed it in January of this year and reported it to Support.  Their initial reaction was to claim that nothing had changed and that the product had always behaved like this, until I managed to convince them using log data that previous files had been successfully restored to show their original date, whereas now it was showing the restoration date.   Finally someone from the "Restoration Team" came back and admitted they had changed the product, and despite me begging, could not change it back.  

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, at least I know I'm not going crazy. 

Dropboxer

I've asked for clarification internally and can confirm that this is expected behaviour due to a recent change on how the date modified has been recorded on our end - it will now retain the timestamps from when you restore. 

I understand that this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear and apologize for any frustration caused. I have made sure to make the relevant specialized team aware of your feedback on this. 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for your help @Jane. Any update that limits usability should be made clear to all users. And my personal opinion is that I disagree with the update. Restoration should return a file and its metadata to exactly the way it was before. Besides the Version History page maintains a fairly comprehensive audit trail, including restorations.

New member | Level 2

I am glad this thread has been discussing this very issue I have been struggling with.  Could someone from Dropbox explain the rationale behind this change?  It disrupts usability!

Re: "Date Modified" shows the Restore Date it SHOULD (and used to) show the Date of the Re

Y2B
Explorer | Level 4

Actually, I am NOT making a copy... I am restoring a previous version and IT IS logical to see the (last modified) date of the restored version and NOT the date it was restored ... 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Restored files have wrong creation and modification date
69 Replies
86 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey