Announcements
The Community is under maintenance currently. We apologize for any disruption to your experience!

yes

Highlighted

Re: Restored files have wrong creation and modification date

Helpful | Level 6

Again Janes reply has been marked as a solution. It is not. It is admission of a changed and faulty behaviour. 

Re: "Date Modified" shows the Restore Date it SHOULD (and used to) show the Date of the Re

Helpful | Level 5

Dear Walter, please give the development team the feedback that this is an absolutely terrible and nonsensical change to what used to be one of Dropbox's most useful features.  In a mix of restored and unrestored files, there is now no obvious way of telling which is actually the most recent version.  I can only assume that this change is an unintended consequence of some other change they were making with another purpose, as I cannot imagine how anyone would think that this modification represented an improvement on the old behaviour and make it by design.  Thank you.

@Walter wrote:

Hey there @Y2B, thanks for writing in and welcome to our Community!

As you've figured out, we recently made a change to how a file's metadata is retained when a file is copied/moved or restored

We will no longer keep the original metadata of a file if a copy of the file was made, instead the file will have the metadata show the date the copy was made as the last date modified. This will only occur when creating a copy via the Dropbox website.

I understand that this may not be ideal to your current workflow and I'm here for you should you like to share any comments or feedback about this change. Just let me know here and I'll make sure your words reach our dev team for their consideration.

Thanks!

Re: "Date Modified" shows the Restore Date it SHOULD (and used to) show the Date of the Re

Dropboxer
Hi again to all, I’m pinging you back here, as we work hard to make Dropbox the best it can be & we’re always looking for user feedback as features & functionality change along the way. Seeing that this has been distressing to you, I’ve already made sure to submit this discussion to the relevant team, just because your feedback (positive or negative) is important to us.

On a brief sidenote, the thread remains open for discussion, as I had previously removed the Solved tag. I remain at your entire disposal if you have any additional questions. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

I just noticed the change and it's horrendously damaging to the dropbox experience. And this change was made without any kind of notice. If it's not reverted back to what it always was, which was one of dropbox's GREATEST features, I'll be obligated to never use dropbox again.

It's such a bad decision it's bewildering.

Who thought changing it made any shred of sense...?

New member | Level 2

I also just restored a whole folder that was deleted accidentally and all the files have the same modification date/time equal to the restore date/time. This is almost a useless feature at this point, as I can not tell which files were edited most recently. This is not a true restore at this point. 

Please escalate this issue, as this is a major change to the restore functionality of Dropbox and should be fixed. 

New member | Level 2

I'll chime in as one more user who thinks this change about the time-stamps violates part of the purpose of back-up and restore.  This functionality was a major reason for me to upgrade my account, so one could say that I'm not getting what I paid for.

Helpful | Level 6

I have exactly the same complaint.  I inadvertently deleted a number of folders and used Dropbox for the very purpose it is intended, namely to restore deleted items and folders.  However, all the restored folders and their contents have the restored date rather than the date they were last updated.  This is a real problem, since I no longer know the original date.  DROPBOX  NEED TO FIX IT!  However, any fix will be too late to correct the corruption caused to my system.

Re: Restored files have wrong creation and modification date

New member | Level 2

I adding an additional vote for having restored files have a timestamp of their original time, nort of the restored time.  For me the prior 'original timestamp' approach was fully functional, and I find using the newer'restored time' approach to require a lot more book-keeping on my end, and thus sometimes I just take a fully differnt approach for my needs.

Helpful | Level 5

It's terrible! All my work needs original timestamp to be of any use, why on Earth could you think that any user could prefer to have the restoring date?

If I restore a file, it's because I did mistakes and I need the older version, exactly as it was, and with the original timestamp that is indispensable to correctly show the file in chronological order in a work environment!

If you do not revert to older way of restoring timestamps, I am sorry but I and all my contacs (about 1.000, all of them are Dropbox paying customers) are in vast majority ready to stop using your program and going for alternatives.

I sincerely hope you will understand how important this issue is: would you like to have all your documents in your archive messed up, all dates on your office documents erased, and so on?

Thank you for your understanding

Marco Milano

Explorer | Level 4

I would like to and my voice to this too.  I have just had to restore a large number of files and was horrifed to see that all the dates had been reset.  This has completely messed me up and will take me days and days to sort it out.

Please Please put the old feature back and retain the original date modified when restoring files!

I am now looking for an alternative online backup solution, preferably one that also has folder level restore as well as files.  I had to use a Python script from GitHub to do this with DropBox.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Restored files have wrong creation and modification date
69 Replies
86 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey