Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

yes

Re: Restored files have wrong creation and modification date

Helpful | Level 6
I'm running Dropsync Pro 4.3.4/9080703/pro.
I have it configured to sync all photos on my phone, namely the opencamera folder. I then use a PC to copy selected photos into a catalogued folder, for example photographs/2019/2019-07-04 Holiday. I then have Dropsync configured to sync this folder with one named Pictures on my phone, and I use Quickpics to view the catalogue.
My holiday was overseas so I disabled data on the phone until I returned home. I was then able to see the photos on a PC, but they were time stamped with the download date {28 July}, not the date they were created.
Yesterday I noticed that Dropsync had only downloaded some of the photos in the Holiday folder, but I couldn't explain why (perhaps you are right and there is a bug in it). I created a new config in Dropsync to transfer just the Holiday folder, which worked.
I then noticed that virtually all the photos in the phone's Holiday folder are time stamped 28 July, not yesteday's date. (Strangely enough, a few of them are timestamped with the date they were taken). This proves that Dropsync was able to extract the files from Dropbox without corrupting the timestamp

Helpful | Level 6

This issue finally seems to have been resolved, so I am unsubscribing from the thread.

Helpful | Level 6

Resolved how?

Helpful | Level 6

I think you might be confused.  There is no issue with Dropbox changing file metadata as you suggest above.  The problem is this...

I create a text file called stuff.txt on Monday and save to DB.

I modify stuff.txt on Tueday and add or remove info.

I realize on Wednesday that the changes I made Tuesday are not right.   I access the Dropbox web page for the folder where stuff.txt is located, and look at the previous versions for stuff.txt.

I choose the RESTORE function and want Monday's version.

Before Dropbox made this horrible change, I could access my local drive's folder and see stuff.txt has a "last modified date" set to Monday.

As it is now, if you do the steps above, the "last modified date" of for stuff.txt says Wednesday.  

To be clear...

The problem is NOT that if you sync a DB folder to your local Dropbox folder that DB changes the modify date. 

I suspect you may be viewing photos in a viewer where you are changing rotation or something and by doing so, you are in fact "modifying" the file and should expect the file's "last modified date" to change to the time when you made the edit on your PC.

Helpful | Level 6

Just to be clear, what I am referring to is what you just described. As of last week (and just tested it again today), when I restore a file to an earlier version via the Version History page, it now restores the Modified timestamp back to the original timestamp. It no longer updates that timestamp to the current time. I haven't tested any other scenarios, but this is what my issue was, and it's been fixed for me. Hopefully the other issues are being fixed as well.

Helpful | Level 6

I've just confirmed!   It is indeed fixed!  Praise Jesus!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
It must have only recently been fixed because my message above proves that it was still there on 28 July.

Helpful | Level 6

slightly smiling face

Helpful | Level 5

Just tried it. The creation date and access date are still corrupted.

However...!

The modification date is, indeed, the original one!

Baby steps, but we are getting there. Now I hope the rest of the files' propierties are adecuately restored as before, too (eventually). And... please.

Never in a million years do somthing like this again, Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

To Dropbox. I really don't care about the modification or viewed dates. Created Date is the number one most important date to retain when restoring a file. Everything else pales in comparison.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Restored files have wrong creation and modification date
69 Replies
86 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey