Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Restored files have wrong creation and modification date

Helpful | Level 6

I'm sure there are plenty of users that will have a problem with the create date being changed.   Thankfully, all files have the same modified and create date until they are modified.  

Makes me wonder if the changes Dropbox made are an attempt to be compliant with some kind of auditing standard.

If that is true, I might be able to see how someone arrived at the conclusions they did regarding metadata restoration process if that person was also half-drunk.

They should at least offer an option where the RESTORE functions act like they used to...all original metadata is set as it was.

Helpful | Level 6

Is anyone at Dropbox reading these posts? 

Has anyone ever got a response or some sort of reply from them or are we just talking to an echo chamber? So far I have not seen one whit of concern from them - if not then this is a complete waste of time. The only feedback I got was when talking to them on the phone - "we will submit this to our developers".

Dropbox Support if you care about our concerns then please post SOMETHING!!! Tell us you are working on a solution or have no plans to fix this, whatever. Then at least, we as your paying and loyal users, can decide what to do.

Helpful | Level 6

I only ever received a useless repsonse from a low level support person back when I first posted the issue. To be told it was how it was suppoosed to work. It took a while for them to even admit that it had changed. It is dissapointing that they feel they can make these sort of fundamental changes without any kind of user notice. The same goes for silently fixing (part) of the issue. It undermines faith in the platform which should be the last thing they want. 

Helpful | Level 6

It does seem that the problem has been resolved, but with rather strange results:

As stated in my previous message, I uploaded photos from the opencamera folder on my phone to a folder named opencamera on Dropbox (using Dropsync) some time after they were taken.  I then synced them to an opencamera folder on my PC and noted that they were timestamped with the download date (28 July), not the date they were taken.  I copied some of them to a folder on my PC named photographs/2019/2019-07-04 Holiday (where they were still timestamped 28 July).  Several days later I donwloaded them to a corresponding folder on my phone using Dropsync, and the timestamp of the phone's photos remained at 28 July, NOT the download date.  This proved that the datestamp was being modified in the process of downloading to the PC, and the files stored on Dropbox were not corrupted.

HOWEVER:

1. I have just checked the photos in the opencamera folder and the photographs/2019/2019-07-04 Holiday folder on my PC and they are now all correctly timestamped with the date they were taken.  I can only conclude from this that as well as fixing the problem Dropbox have also managed to overwrite the timestamps on downloaded files to correct the previous error.
  2. I thought at first that I was imagining things, but the timestamp on the photos in the photographs/2019/2019-07-04 Holiday folder on my phone is still 28 July, so the correction wasn't propogated through Dropsync.
  3. Back in April/May I inadvertently deleted some files from the Dropbox folder on my PC, then restored them via Dropbox.  The timestamp of theese files on the PC was the restore date, not the original date.  These timestamps have not been corrected, proving that Dropbox have only been able to correct timestamps that were corrupted recently

Why can't Dropbox come clean and admit what they have done?

Dropboxer
Hello again to everyone, I’d like to touch-base with you with great news! 

Following-up on the observations posted on this thread, there will be a change on this behavior moving forward, as restored items will preserve the original timestamps. We recognize that retaining this metadata is important for our users and helps to assure them that their content is untouched. 

We are trying to make Dropbox the best it can be & we take your feedback seriously; let me close this discussion with an open invite to everyone who spared a few minutes to write us their thoughts here to continue doing so in the future; your input helps us continuously improve. Happy Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Jane, that is indeed great news.  It's a pity it took 5 months to recognise that there was a problem and to fix it.

Is there any chance that the fix could retrospectively correct the timestamp errors that were made prior to last month?

Dropboxer
Hey @RouseA, rephrasing from my previous message, kindly note that this will be effective moving forward & not retroactively. 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Jane - if you read my message above you will see that I was able to conclusively prove that it did retrospectively correct timestamp errors on files downloaded on 28 July.

I have another means of proving this: Every night I run a batch file that recursively backs up all data to ZIP files.  The back-up will overwrite old files with new ones, but won't make any changes if the file date is older.  The files in my photographs/2019/2019-07-04 Holiday ZIP backup are timestamped 28 July, but those in my Dropbox folder are now timestamped with the correct date.

If I check the properties of one of the photos in the Dropbox folder is shows the Created Date as 29 ‎July ‎2019, ‏‎13:39:05 and the Accessed Date as 29 ‎July ‎2019, ‏‎13:39:05, but the Modified Date is the date/time the photo was taken.  Strange that it was modified before it was created!  The Dropbox app on my PC was last updated on 14 August, so I believe that there was an update on 29 July that corrected the timestamps.

I have files in other folders that I inadvertently deleted, then restored from Dropbox, on 30 April.  I have checked the timestamps on one of them and the Created Date is 23 ‎July ‎2019, ‏‎23:21:35, the Accessed Date is 23 ‎July ‎2019, ‏‎23:41:46 and the Modified Date is 30 ‎April ‎2019, ‏‎02:17:59.  Again, it was modified before it was created!  I think Dropbox issued an update on 23 July which attempted to fix the problem but got it wrong.

New member | Level 2

I'm using the Dropbox app on my Iphone to upload photos, that late will go into Photos on my Mac...

All the meta data is deleted... I'm sorry to say this is outrageus - I've just copied 2000 photos that's now from the same day...

Dropboxer
Hey @bebedotno, it looks like you’re describing something slightly different than what’s discussed here, as this thread refers to metadata associated with restored content, whereas you’ve mentioned that you’ve uploaded your photos for the first time. 

Even so, kindly note that these details should be preserved if you’re uploading through the desktop & mobile applications respectively. If that’s okay with you, could you give me a bit of context on what you’ve experienced, just so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing? Thank in advance! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Restored files have wrong creation and modification date
69 Replies
86 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey