cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: STILL can't get my Dropbox photos to show up in my Android gallery

STILL can't get my Dropbox photos to show up in my Android gallery

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4

I've read all the related forum posts dating back to 2012 with no avil. 

Problem: I use dropbox mostly for photoshop files and JPG photos. I have many folders and subfolders with pictures and files. Today I started uploading some of these pictures to instagram, so I first selected a folder and 'saved to device'. This did not show these pictures in my Android Gallery app where I need them to be despite saving them to folders with gallery pictures in them. So I selected individual pictures, used the same process and still they are not showing. I found a workaround online by selecting a single picture, clicking 'export to' then selecting instagram. While this did work, it only works for single pictures and I still can't see them in my gallery. 

I am now trying to upload multiple pictures to instagram in a single 'carousel' post, but I am unable to select 'export to' instagram with multiple selected. 

I need to find a way to get my pictures to show up in my Android gallery. I have already looked into the left 'Photos' tab of Dropbox and non of the pictures in my folders show up there, so I am unable to add them to a sub folder named 'Photos' (This was the best solution according to other online users)

Any help avaliable for this?? Thanks

44 Replies 44

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @yeetandco,

When you choose the option to "Save to device", the default location is within the Downloads folder on your device. The images you've already saved should be located there.

However, when you choose to "Save to device", you can change the location the images are saved to so they can be found in your camera roll. Can you try the following:

1. Select the images in Dropbox and choose "Save to device".
  2. Navigate to "Internal storage" (it will either be the first option on the screen or you may need to tap the menu icon in the top left corner to see it).
  3. Choose the folder "DCIM".
  4. Choose the folder "Camera" and save the images within there.

If you run into any issues then please send a screenshot, excluding any personal info, if it's relevant ie. you can't see one of the locations or options mentioned.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. This did not solve my problem. I had mentioned in the OP that I tried to download the pictures to specific internal storage folders that already appear in my gallery. While these pictures show up in their file system folders, they do not show up in Gallery. And for the sake of instagram multiple picture uploads, I need them to be seen in Gallery to accomplish that. 

I also have already resynced my Dropbox, reset/cleared Gallery cache and restarted my device. 

Any other tips?

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @yeetandco,

That's strange indeed. :thinking:

When I tested this out on an android device here, saving the image into the DCIM -> Camera folder resulted in the image showing within the Gallery.

Can you let me know the OS version of your device? Also, what version of the Dropbox mobile app do you have installed?

Are you getting any errors when trying to export the photos or does the app show the action is completed?

Finally, are you seeing the exported images saved within your internal storage and just not within the Gallery, or you're not seeing the images at all there?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

yeetandco
Explorer | Level 4

I have the latest version of both the OS and Dropbox

No errors, and it does in fact show in the app as complete.

This is also in fact represented in the phone's file system for each folder I export/save to (DCIM, Instagram, downloads, ect.), but still does not show up in the gallery. 

@Daphne 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @yeetandco,

Since the images are exporting into your mobile's internal storage correctly, then I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your device via the official Android support page here, for further assistance with this. 

From what I know there could be a few reasons that this could occur such as the folder the images are exported to being a "nomedia" folder. However the manufacturer of your device will have a much better insight into this and should be able to assist with pinpointing the reason these images don't show in the Gallery.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help but I hope this can point you in the right direction.

Keep us posted - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Khimari
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I run into the same problem I've tried various folders and the only fix that I have found (and maybe why it worked for the DB helper) is when I export a single image at a time. 

However not a fun time when trying to get a bunch of photography across to my phone. 

Is this maybe what's happening?

Cheers,

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @Khimari, I hope you're well today!

Can you let me know if when you're exporting multiple images, do they appear correctly in the selected location?

Do you get any error messages at all?

Would you mind just letting me know the OS version your mobile device is running and the version of the Dropbox mobile app that's installed?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Khimari
New member | Level 2

Hi Daphne, 

Maybe I had not tried enough.

I moved them in from internal storage in my Camera roll folder, to another internal storage folder. Neither of which worked. 

I then moved them all to a folder on my SD card, and they all showed up in my gallery. 

So I guess I'm just going to keep doing that so long as it works. 

Sorry for messaging too early before I tried the rest haha. 

Need more support?