cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same file Different folders

Same file Different folders

Sondos944
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi there,

I need to know if it's possible to make changes on a file which is shared with many different members, I mean the same file exists in different folders and I want to change it once for all of them ..

Thanks.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Sondos944 - welcome to our Community!

What @Здравко mentions is valid for files that are explicitly within shared folders.

If you'd like to update/change this file on one location and have the changes reflect on other places (other folders, shared folders etc.) too, this won't be possible as these files would be different copies of the file in question (having different file-paths etc.). 

I hope this clears things up a tad and please let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Everybody receiving shared folder can 'mount' this (same) folder using different name and place, so, in this context shortest answer is: Yes, it's possible.

Sondos944
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Can you explain more, please?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Sondos944 - welcome to our Community!

What @Здравко mentions is valid for files that are explicitly within shared folders.

If you'd like to update/change this file on one location and have the changes reflect on other places (other folders, shared folders etc.) too, this won't be possible as these files would be different copies of the file in question (having different file-paths etc.). 

I hope this clears things up a tad and please let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Sondos944,

As in your initial question:

@Sondos944 wrote:
I need to know if it's possible to make changes on a file which is shared with many different members, I mean the same file exists in different folders and I want to change it once for all of them ..

when you share some folder to another parties, they will receive it and will have a option to set a name (by default this name is same as yours). In all cases (either using same name or different names) the shared dir will sit in directory tree of every one of the parties. The same like recipients have received shortcuts to your directory and every one recipient can name this shortcut as appropriate. So, same shared file (in shared dir) could be pointed throughout different path from different parties. The file is same while using anyone possible path in this situation and your change in the file (from you point of view) will reflect any other point of view.

Some additional related tips could be read here.

Hope this additional explanation cast additional light. :wink:

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sondos944 wrote:
... I mean the same file exists in different folders and I want to change it once for all of them ..

In this case, @Walter is correct. If you have multiple copies of the same file stored in different folders within your own Dropbox (regardless of whether or not those copies are shared with others), there's no way to edit one and have it update all the other copies.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Rich, Read carefully initial question before commenting!

Yes I agree @Walter formulation is correct. But in @Walter explanation the case is expanded outside @Sondos944 question! Where you had read "multiple copies of the same file" at the beginning? In this context what is:

@Rich wrote:

... (regardless of whether or not those copies are shared with others), there's no way to edit one and have it update all the other copies.

??? "No way" (general said so) is incorrect, definitely!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Здравко wrote:

Read carefully initial question before commenting!

You should take your own advice, and pay attention to the part that I quoted in my reply.

... I mean the same file exists in different folders and I want to change it once for all of them ..

@Sondos944's initial message seems to indicate that there are multiple copies of the same file, each within a different folder in his Dropbox, and each of those locations is shared with someone else. This doesn't sound like a single folder shared with multiple people, in which case updating a file in that folder would update for everyone. Instead, this sounds like there are multiple shared folders, each with a separate copy of the same file, and a desire to change just one copy and have it change them all, which is simply not possible with Dropbox.

Now, if it is in fact a single folder within his Dropbox, shared to multiple people, then yes, editing a file in that folder would obviously be changed for all members of the share, but I don't believe that's what was being asked, and it would seem that @Walter doesn't either by his own reply.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

:grinning: Ok,

I understand what you say and generally agree, but...

@Rich wrote:

You should take your own advice, and pay attention to the part that I quoted in my reply.

... where you have seen what you suppose? Yes, that what you say is interpretation!

Ok, let @Sondos944 select what's useful and/or ask clarifying question. :wink:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?