Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Search Bar Not Working Correctly

New member | Level 2

I have been working in Dropbox for the last couple of days with no problem. Today, I started searching for files in a certain folder (like I've been doing the past few days) and it's only pulling up old/deleted files. However, the file I'm searching for IS in the folder......but the search bar is not finding it. Anyone have any idea why this started happening all of a sudden? How can I fix it? Thanks!

9 Replies

Re: Search Bar Not Working Correctly

Dropboxer
Welcome to our community, @Melea

Are you doing this on our website, or using your computer's file system search function? If you’re on our site, try using a different web browser. Sometimes browsers update silently, and little quirks like this pop up. 

Let me know when you can. 
Thanks!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropbox website search not working as expected

New member | Level 2

The above is not a solution . . .

On my end, I tried two different browsers, incognito and then logged onto a mac.  The gentleman searched his dropbox with no problem from his mac, but when I logged on I got nowhere again.  I agree that this customer support interface is sorely wanting . . . I'm paying just as much for dropbox as the entire Office 365 suite and in typing this, realizing just how insane that is.  Time to look for something else . . .

My search isn't working at all.

Collaborator | Level 9

I've tried to search my Dropbox several times today on 3 different devices(iPhone, iPad and PC) and the search function is not working at all.  The files are there but search is not finding anything. Any suggestions?

Re: Cant Search Dropbox

Collaborator | Level 8

NO. That "expert reply" is zero help. The search had been working fine and then after the New Year's holiday it is completely broken! We have a business account and we are COMPLETELY unable to use the search function! It says there are zero results found even when I am looking at the files in the folder!

Look at these screenshots! I am searching for the word "Central." You can see there I have several video files with the name "Central" in the title and yet it shows NONE of these in the results. There is obviously a problem here that needs to be solved! We are a business that uses Dropbox every day and by screwing up the search function you have rendered your site as basically unusable. I also do not see any option to speak to someone on the phone, even though I have a Business account! Please show me how to actually contact a live person? This is completely unacceptable.

DropBox Search.jpg
Dropbox results.jpg

Helpful | Level 5

This doesn't help you directly Jack, but we too just noticed problems with our search too. Only some files seem to work and others do not show at all in the results. Something is defintely broken with the search tool.

Super User II

It is a solution.... from November... people can hardly be blamed for when posts are resurrected and they have changed. Remember that ANYBODY can mark as post as a solution so what was posted WAS (and actually still is) the solution.

If you are having issues I suggest escalating via your support channels - especially those on Business who can do so via chat.

Also, just to keep things neat I'm closing this thread so if you do have issues please post over at: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-and-folders/Search-Bar-Not-Working-Correctly/m-p/25877...

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: My search isn't working at all.

Super User II
There does seem to be an issue based on other posts.

I'm trying to escalate

Note: linked thread = https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-and-folders/Cant-Search-Dropbox/m-p/258819#M11917

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 6
The "solutions" below are not solutions.
I've had an issue searching my Personal and Business Dropbox (instances?) today via the app (iOS on iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro 10.5 - both most recent version of the app, running the latest iOS). I first noticed about 12pm (noon) EST.
Searching for a specific [companyname] folder yielded one result with absolutely no relevance. I had to manually navigate there.
Now, five hours later, search via the app and web interface is very slow. It is pulling up more results - not all.
Possibly Dropbox is performing a re-index?
Highlighted

Super User II
Just seen a tweet via Dropbox that this should now be resolved.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Search Bar Not Working Correctly
9 Replies
8 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey