cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search in filename only

Search in filename only

petholla
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is it possible to search in filenames only? Smart search seems very powerful and smart most of the time but in some cases it's just confusing that it also searches in file contents. E.g. having thousands of documents in my dropbox folder searching for 'bill' will return too many documents to when I really only need files with the word 'bill' in their names. I see some posts from years ago saying it's not available and recommending to use the OS search functionality instead but I'm hoping this has been resolved in a more elegant and mobile friendly way since then.

Thanks,

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @petholla, thanks for posting your comments on the Community!

Although there isn’t a direct way that you can separate search results by title and content results, you do have the options to sort the files that show up by Relevance and Last modified

Nonetheless, I understand where you’re coming from, so I’d be more than happy to pass your thoughts along to the dev team. 

In the meantime, if you have any other ideas you’d like me to forward, just give me a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @petholla, thanks for posting your comments on the Community!

Although there isn’t a direct way that you can separate search results by title and content results, you do have the options to sort the files that show up by Relevance and Last modified

Nonetheless, I understand where you’re coming from, so I’d be more than happy to pass your thoughts along to the dev team. 

In the meantime, if you have any other ideas you’d like me to forward, just give me a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cepstralspike
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I like the question but not the answer. It means I need to maintain my own index.

imhjdavi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is crazy.  How many years has Dropbox been in operation?  10 or more?  If there is no function to search within filenames yet, it seems unlikely there will ever be.  But this leads to another question:  Is there any third party program that can take the search result from Dropbox and clean it up to delete searches that are of searches of content rather than filename?  

cepstralspike
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Crazy indeed. I run a recursive descent directory listing on my PC hard drive every night via crontab on linux and scheduler on windows.  The listing is a big file, too big to manage on a 3x5 phone screen. But nearly everything about dropbox is better than google drive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cepstralspike Helpful | Level 6
    imhjdavi Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?