Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Searching within deleted files

New member | Level 2

How do I search by file name in deleted files? When I use the search bar it searches not-deleted files, and as far as I can tell all I can do is sort deleted files by date range. I have no clue what the date of creation or deletion was, but I have the file name. Also, I only have one account using my dropbox, so who deleted it is useless. I would do ctrl+f, but dropbox's website only loads a few lines past the bottom of the visible page, so it's useless. And folders change, merge, and get removed over the years so searching by folder is also not helpful. I know I used to be able to search my entire deleted file history by file name a few years ago but haven't needed to recently.
Is there a limit to how far back deleted files are saved? I've been paying for the option sine opening my dropbox account, so in theory I should have access to anything I've ever deleted.

Tags (1)
11 Replies

Re: Searching within deleted files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, depending on your plan you could have recovery periods from 30 days to 120 days, and potentially longer if you purchased Extended Version History before the new plans came out.

If you use the search bar, the deleted files will appear at the bottom of the list in grey, so you can check those grey files for the one you’re looking for.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi,

So, I think I remember the whole "greyed out results for deleted files" thing, many months ago... but here it is, Sept 2019 (barely), and I don't see that anymore in my search results.

I know there have been lots of changes in Dropbox over the last few months.

How do I search through deleted files as of Sept. 2019?

Thanks!

New member | Level 2

Replying to self -- looks like I have to first click on "Files" on the left hand side, and then select "Deleted Files".

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Dan_, it's still possible to do so.

While on the files page, you can click 'Show deleted files' on the right to show any deleted files, while still viewing your file structure.

If you just want to see deleted files, then you click the link on the left.

Hope this helps!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thanks Jay, that is very helpful.  Appreciate the speedy reply!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, glad to have helped out!

Jay

Helpful | Level 5

Hi folks, I'm also really baffled how to do this. I've tried clicking "show deleted files" and I get thousands of files.... I try to search for one file called "piano" which I deleted yesterday, and it toggles me back to all my files. I've been going round and round for two hours. I don't understand why I can't search among Deleted Files for a file called "Piano". Can someone please help? I've tried the instructions here. Thanks!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @arigoldfilms, sorry to hear about this. 

If you search for a file using the normal search bar, it will first locate all files that already exist on your account.

If you scroll down, you'll get to the 'grey' files, which are deleted files. You should be able to locate the file from there, unless it was possibly on a shared folder that you no longer have access to.

Let me know how it goes and if you can locate the file!

Jay

Helpful | Level 5
Unfortunately this does not work. The file that I deleted is called piano. There are literally thousands of text files in my dropbox that mention a piano. So when I search for the music file, I get a list that goes on and on and on and on and I keep scrolling and it keeps refreshing and so far I have scrolled back through a few thousand. I have not gotten to any Grey files. Is it really true that there is no simple way to search for a file name only in the Deleted section? I did try the other way where I searched during a time period that something is deleted, but because I did major file house cleaning during this time, I am also looking at thousands of files, text and otherwise. This functionality is unbelievably bad. Why can’t I just search in my deleted files for a certain file name??
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Searching within deleted files
11 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post