cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective Sync Conflict mess!

Selective Sync Conflict mess!

WilliamLow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, 

I just did a fresh OS install on my Mac, with my Dropbox folder on an external drive (my startup disk is too small to hold this data). I thought that I setup my Dropbox correctly, pointing to the external drive and let the computer 'do it's thing' overnight. Next day, I see a big mess of duplicate and triplicate folders. To make matters worse, the folder sizes are different. 

I am guessing that I am stuck with this problem and need to track down all of the extra files, but this will set me back countless hours. Is there a better way to merge these multiple folders into one, without losing any files? 

I am passing along a screenshot from my finder window. How emabarrassing!

screenshot with Selective Sync Conflictsscreenshot with Selective Sync Conflicts

30 Replies 30

Michael L.96
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox, just fix all the many bugs in your software and these types of threads will disappear. It still appears that no one is doing anything about it and all the nice emails in the world aren't going to change people's mind. Stop adding new features that people don't want and fix your longstanding bugs. Smart sync is totally useless and unneeded in my opinion. I'd rather have selective sync working the way I should. Isn't that one of your basic features? It still doesn't work! Now I have to deal with this online and local [profanity removed by moderation according to the Community Guidelinesthat doesn't work either. Even though I have local set in my preferences, everything sinks online only and I have to go back and switch it to local, a second step.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @aaaaaaabbbb, apologies if there has been any misunderstanding along the way, however my message to the last poster meant to convey that this may be cumbersome if a larger number of files have been affected, however it aims to prevent overwriting important content in error. That said, we’re here to help you as much as possible if you’re also facing a similar discrepancy, as long as you provide us with the specifics regarding your current situation. 

Last but not least, that’s also an brief reminder that we aim to foster a healthier conversation and debate on the Community & that’s why I modified your post accordingly. If there’s anything I can do on my end, please let me know in your next message. Thanks! 

From there @Michael L.96, following-up from our ongoing discussion, I’ve made sure to message you back on my end on the latest ticket you’ve submitted on our system. Please refer back to this email chain, as we can work more efficiently towards resolution via this channel, since we can access your account specifics on our tools. Thanks again!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

kjconnors
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

And here I thought it was just me ...

I experience this problem too, and it is no small matter. I am dealing with nearly 4T of data. With selective sync problems as described in this thread, I can't describe how time-consuming (weeks, not hours) and frustrating the problem has become, especially as it has happened repeatedly. Waste massive time fixing it once, then the joy of fixing it again.

If rectifying the situation directly is impractical due to overwrite concerns, how about a built-in utility to aid the user in resolving the duplicate-and-or-missing-files problem without having to go to yet another third party?

pm3415
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i'm having similar problems.  I run dropbox on three different computers, and my files/folders are now *bleeped*.

For comparing file versions, I have used Scooter Software's "Beyond Compare"  for a long time, to great success.  Even so, this is going to take a great deal of time to get sorted out!

Don't even want to think what is may have done to shared folders.

Oh which I'd just stuck with selective synch options!!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kjconnors & @pm3415, while I have some tips that could be helpful, please let me know if you’d need further assistance from me in any way & I’ll try to touch-base with you asap. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

exDBuser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

DropBox is an outdates service. they have not only failed to understand their clients, but also technology.

Google File Drive is much more functioning and advanced alternative for the same price.

For synching folders, I have found"Beyond Sync" to be very good! Without it I would have pulled all my hair out due to the DropBox mess I always seem to get in the two computers I use (Imagine the mess if I was using 3... LOL)

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Greetings,

I have been working for a few days to try and get dropbox to sync.

Amazingly, after days of seeking support my drive is syncing for the first time  (in 6 years).

Unfortunately, all of the synchronised folders are doubling up on my pc with the duplicate `Selective Sync Conflict'. 

This is innane, insane and obviously and issue shared by others. I am completely shocked by the ongoing difficulties with the Dropbox app.

To make matters even worse = the duplicate and original folders are both different size !!!   

...Dropbox, have you got a solution for this yet? All i want to do is reclaim my archive from your server and this is a seemingly impossible task? The best part of a week is gone trying to get the sync running (same issues on multiple PC's) and now for the few fodlers that have worked (most are greyed out) there is this baffling scenario of duplicate, mismatched files.

I know your stocks went down, you moved head office, lost two key players...but instead of responding to business failings by drainign existing customers = you should fix the service and a paying customer like me would be consolidating my service with pleasure. Instead I just want to leave dropbox (if only I could get my archive)

Michael L.96
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
mr c and anyone else having these issues, my advice to you is just don't waste your time with them anymore. Dropbox does not work and they lost a lot of my $$$$$ because of it. Just don't waste your time here! And don't keep anything important on Dropbox. It's little more than a novelty now for me. (Ex-Dropbox pro user)

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@michael - thanks for the encouragement; I am trying to get my files from the dropbox servers and soon as I can I will be gone. 

When a companies direction becomes inverse to the actual product and service they once represented, it is time to bail. 

I don;t think a $2b per year company is really going to miss me, nor are they going to change for the customer = to me Dropbox is driven by shareholder gratification and I don't want to encourage them at all.  

This article interested me: https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/09/09/why-dropbox-shares-fell-24-last-month.aspx

"Dropbox hopes to inspire more of its users to pay for these upgraded services rather than sticking to a free but more bare-bones experience. If that plan works out as expected, it will boost both its top-line revenue and profit margins in a hurry. But until then, the company must spend money to execute on this vision -- marketing and tech support for the new service model isn't cheap.

The stock has now dropped 24% over the last 52 weeks. "

...With the Dropbox response being to force users into a new price tier, rather than improving the service, clearing historical problems or educating customers about new features, it becomes very clear that they want existing customers to suffer for the sit-at-home dreams of investors. It makes me hate the world.  

I hope you have a much better experience with your new host. 

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone! 

Jumping in here to wrap up this thread. We acknowledge all your feedback about the selective sync conflicts issue and experience. We appreciate your participation and we can still help with Selective Sync conflicts if you need help with the steps you have to take to fix this. 

Please contact our team directly, with account and device related info here

To keep things neat, I would like to kindly request for you to create a new topic for any unrelated issue or feedback. 

Keep in mind that you can mention a user or a Dropboxer in your new thread to start a new discussion with them. 

Thank you all. 

Have a happy new year!  

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Need more support?