cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Selective Sync Conflict on 3 folders I want to have but not sync

Explorer | Level 4

I have a Unity project and I use Dropbox as a realtime backup system. I used to lose days of work because of harware failure (inbetween GIT pushes) but with the help of Dropbox, I need not worry about my work being lost.

There is a problem I am having: there are 3 folders called Library, Temp and obj in which Unity temporarily generates the project in binary form, which I do not need synced.

So I manually removed them from being synced, and deleted them in my online account, but everytime that they are created, Dropbox moved the entire (4-5GB) content to a conflict folder, outside, and forces Unity to make a new Library each time this happens.

It also cloggs up my Dropbox with many Conflict #2, #3, etc. each 5GB worth.

I would like to have Dropbox STOP taking those folder into account at all.

Thank you.

5 Replies

Re: Selective Sync Conflict on 3 folders I want to have but not sync

Dropboxer

Hi there @Discipol, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community!

As a first step, you mention that after removing the three folders (Library, Temp and obj) created by Unity, a new conflicted folder is generated outside. 

For this reason, I just wanted to clarify, is this folder being created outside of the Dropbox folder? Are you using symlinks within your Dropbox folder?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Lusil! The project folder is inside Dropbox, the Library folder is inside the project folder, inside Dropbox.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Discipol

From what I understand, you also selectively sync the folder and then remove it from the web, is that right?

If so, please note that selectively syncing folders removes them from your hard drive but if you are deleting it from the website, you're removing them from your account. 

Also, due to their nature, selectively syncing these temporary libraries may cause syncing issues, such as the ones you’re describing. Also, the third party app can generate further files to fill in the broken pathways caused by selective sync.

Nonetheless, I'd recommend checking out this article, as it sounds like you're trying to ignore the folders from being synced. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

This is exactly what I need. I wish I could create a .ignore file in my root Dropbox that relative paths to the files I want to ignore. This way, on fresh Windows installs, I don't need to repeat this process.

Thanks a lot!

Dropboxer

Anytime, @Discipol! If anything else comes up, just give us a nudge. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Selective Sync Conflict on 3 folders I want to have but not sync
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post