Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Selective Sync files I want to have on my local hard drive

New member | Level 2

I used to be able to pick what folders I wanted to store locally on my hard drive using selective sync.

Selectic Sync warns "Your account has 1,395,665 files. If you sync more than 500,000 files, syncing will take a while." Don't know if this matters.

The list has no folders checked, even though I have some of the folders currently on my local hard drive. This is different from how things used to act.

I now select all foders currently on my hard drive, and the additional folders I want to be on the local hard drive. When I click Update I get a pop-up window that warns:

"Unselected folders will be removed from this computer's Dropbox. Any folders you just selected will be online-only."

This is just backwards from what Selective Sync used to do and from what I need to do. I want the selected folders to be on my local hard drive (there is plenty of room) and NOT online-only.

HELP!

PS: If it matters this is a Windows 10 laptop, and the Dropbox folder is on an external hard drive.

6 Replies

Re: Selective Sync files I want to have on my local hard drive

Super User II

Folders that are checked in the Selective Sync window will be synced to your local drive. Folders that are not checked will be removed. This has not changed.

What has changed is that any previously unsynced folders that you select to sync back to your drive, will sync back as Online-only (if the feature is available to you). All you need to do is right-click the folder once it's back in your Dropbox folder and change it to Local.

@Ray R. wrote:
The list has no folders checked, even though I have some of the folders currently on my local hard drive.

If you have folders unchecked within Selective Sync but some of those folders already exist on your computer, the existing folders will be renamed to include the words “selective sync conflict” in their name. This is so they aren't overwritten when Dropbox syncs the online copy back to your drive.

"Unselected folders will be removed from this computer's Dropbox. Any folders you just selected will be online-only."

That's a generic message that appears whenever you make changes within the Selective Sync options. It's simply telling you what will have to folders that are either checked or unchecked.

This is just backwards from what Selective Sync used to do and from what I need to do.

Aside from newly selected folders syncing as Online-only to begin with, nothing with how Selective Sync works has changed. Just select the folders to sync, then right-click them and set them back to Local.

New member | Level 2

OK I tried using Selective Sync. After two days  most of the exising local DropBox folders are marked (Selective Sync Conflict), and just two folders have been created that do not say (Selective Sync Conflict). Of the two new folders one has no content (none of the on-line folders have copied into it) and the other has some of the folders from the on-line DropBox, and one folder that is not found in either the on-line or the local versions of the root folders.

What in the world is going on? At this rate it might take months for things to sync, and I might never know where to find my files.

If there is not a fix for this DropBox will have become unusable.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Ray R., thanks for keeping us in the loop with what's happening. 

If you're still having trouble with this, could you please let us know what your Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it? A screenshot (without personal info) of this would be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I updated my selective sync settings so that I could get a folder back onto my harddrive, but it is showing as online only. When I right click the folder I don't get any option to set it back to local. I'm using a macbook pro.

New member | Level 2

Actually I figured this out. I had to allow dropbox to install the new smart sync update.

Dropboxer

Hey @lizahoos, thanks for keeping us in the loop! 

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end.

If you have any other questions or you'd like our help with anything else, just give us a shout. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Selective Sync files I want to have on my local hard drive
6 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post